Chain Slipping/ Front Derailer

Tagged: ,

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Hey guys, been scoping out this site (which is awesome BTW) and finally have a question after riding this weekend. My chain keeps coming off when I am going fast DH or going over some heavy rocks/roots at a quick speed, any idea? Should I remove a link from my chain? I am even going down at a low gear and it still pops off. Also, my front derailer keeps skipping the middle gear, any ideas? It is fine on the small gear and the large gear but i have a hard time getting it on the middle. The bike is only a month old also, Trek 4300.

Is it still under warranty? if so I would take it to the LBS for a post-break-in adjustment.

ya it still should be, that’s what i was thinking about doing.

I’m no expert but it seems you have a lot of bounce travel in your chain. maybe a chain tensioner will work.

New bikes have a break in period, where the shift cable housings compress and lower the tension on the cables (many people say the cable stretches, but that’s not the case 😃 ) so I bet that’s what going on with yours. Your shop should do a tune up for you for free and it’ll be ready to go.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.