Chain Slipping in Middle Chain Ring

Tagged: ,

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I think I have a wore middle chain ring. I thought at first something was at fault with my chain but when I rode in my small and large ring it wasn’t slipping out of the teeth.

When I pedal normal there isn’t any slippage but as soon as I was starting an uphill climb today it would slip. So I ended up riding the day out of my small chain ring. Typically I never even ride on the small chain ring, so it finally got some use.

I checked the teeth on the middle ring and didn’t see any broke. My crank is a Shimano Deore LX Hollowtech with about 1000 trail miles. I did recently change over to a KMC chain away from my Shimano HG. Had a couple of people recommend them for their durability, so I accepted the added weight. At first I thought it might be the chain, but it worked just fine when I wasn’t trying to peddle in the middle ring.

Thoughts?

Heya Zed,

You’ve got a worn middle ring, my man. The ring you spend the most time in and show the most love has finally moved on to the worn-parts pasture.

In all seriousness, your symptoms are almost definitely a worn ring. As they wear, they first show slip on heavy load then if you ignore that, the chain will begin to slip all the time and roll of either side of the ring.

Swapping out the chain can exacerbate the issue since the ring had worn to fit the older, stretched chain. Since you don’t mention issues on the cassette end, this probably isn’t such a factor for you.

The big on one of my bikes failed just a couple weeks ago. It’s a serious pain in the keester when it gets bad.

Appreciate it… that is what I thought.

The chain is new, as is the cassette. I recently installed a new XT 9spd cassette. Since both the top and bottom rings worked fine I was pretty sure my middle was shot. Just thought I would ask before buying a new one. Got one ordered.

Thank You!

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.