cassette

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

i was cleaning my bike today and i noticed a slight wiggle or play in the cassette. is this a big deal? and what do i need to buy to fix it or is it just tighting of some bolts? what do i need to do. thanks for any help.

If the entire cassette wobbles, remove it using a cassette tool

http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=cass … CB8QrQQwAg

they do not cost alot, degrease and clean it then re lube the free wheel etc (helps avoid rust)

and re attach and tighten to the required torque i think is 50nm but double check.

I had a similar problem prior when it creaked while peddling and it was the cassette.

Dac

well its not like a crazy wobbling its just a little play. also im alittle nervous bout this stuff im defently not like a mechanic is this something anyone could do i guess it sounds simple.do you need like a Torque Wrench or something to know how tight it is idk? thanks for the help im kinda new still i guess.

it sounds like the cassette lockring might be loose, if your uncertain about doing the job yourself you could take it into a LBS and they might tighten it for free or they’ll charge you about $10.

so i did take it to my lbs. and they say that the wiggle is normal????? i dont no i was a little suprised it doesnt seem like some thing like that should be like that. but he showed me a brand new bike that did the same. is this ture? for some reson im hving trouble raping my mind around it.

i assumed when you said that it wiggled i thought you ment that you can move it side to side like their is play, but from you just said it sounds more like when you spin the wheel and its freewheeling the cassette is wobbling when you look at it, that is actually normal to see in lower end hubs, im not sure exactly what causes it but it has something to do with the freehub, some high end hubs do that to but when that happens it usually means that you need a new freehub or bearings

My Mavic wobbles a lot. learned to ignore it, keep it lubed, and if it starts to cause shifting problems then worry. I’ve replaced one freewheel in 6500 miles. The bushing finally wears out.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.