Cadence Sensor

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

Thinking of buying a cadence sensor for my Garmin 800. Anyone have one and can provide answers? Would this be useful? And if so what is a good cadence for mountain biking?

MTI

Great question you read my mind I was thinking of the same thing for my Garmin 800 as well. The old bike computers pre-GPS had the magnet on the spokes which kept distance and speed. Does the cadence sensor do this? I got a trainer for this winter and I was wondering if I could use the GPS with that type of setup just for training records. I am a bit behind on technology and am just now exploring all the stuff my Garmin 800 can do.

It has a magnet on the pedal and frame. I may buy it anyways. Only $40

Went ahead and bought one. It was only $40.

MTI

Cool let me know how it does. So if you have a trainer it will post speeds and distance to the Garmin is that correct? As much as I hate trainers I am going to use one for this winter when the weather gets bad and I would like to see distance and speed as well. Do an update sometime.

I have one I’ve been using for years on the road. Haven’t installed it on a MTB though; haven’t had the desire to. But it’s a battery-powered device on your non-drive side chain stay that sends a signal to your computer based on magnets on your rear wheel and non-drive crank. It’s great on the trainer, as you can turn off gps (in the settings) to save battery power, and then get speed and cadence info. Additionally, it’s nice off the trainer because speed/distance are more accurate with this. And if you’re in dense forest on the MTB, losing a signal every so often won’t affect your final distance measurement (as the speed/cadence sensor of course keeps running regardless of GPS signal).

Dont bother. The are great for road bikes, not for mtbs.
      First, if you are on difficult terrain, you best not be looking at it!
      Second, if the terrain changes alot you will be shifting alot. It is hard to maintain CONSTANT cadence for any length of time. Things change too fast.

Received the cadence sensor yesterday. All is hooked up and going. Hopefully I will get a chance to use it this week and will post up more info. This will probably help with dropping signal occasionally while on the trail.

Well I tried it today and it doesn’t work when I am on the bike. Works great standing next to the bike and pedaling with my hand but when I get on the bike and go it never works. I thought maybe the bluetooth on my phone or headset was causing interference so I turned all that off and same thing. I can’t move my body out of the way. I am thinking with the full suspension maybe when I sit on the bike something gets out of line so I will adjust and see if I can get it to line up.

Got the cadence sensor lined up correctly and tried it out today. It works great. I don’t have the cadence on the main screen as it is too hard to look at while riding the trails but it will be a good tool to have and see if I can improve my speed with it.

MTI

Give us an update after several rides I am still thinking about getting one.

I have a cadence sensor only on my road bike. I only find value in it on the trainer to ensure Im spinning at the speed I should throughout my workout:

http://app.strava.com/activities/116606890

Use the cadence sensor to support improving pedaling technique and workout consistency on the trainer. That will translate to both road and mtn biking.

Here are my feelings regarding additional sensors/info for riding
      Cadence: To guarantee your trainer sessions are consistent
      Heart Rate: To track your performance and ensure your not overtraining
      Power: To compare yourself to others

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.