Buying the perfect gift for a new mountain biker!!!

Viewing 35 reply threads
  • Author

Okay, I am so out of my realm here! Hoping to find some help!!! One of my close friends has a birthday coming up and just bought himself a mountain bike. He has only one trail under his belt…should I get him trail maps? Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Unless he need’s a helmet or glove’s.Maby a multi tool,or a frame pump with a patch kit.Or even a book on how to maintain a mountain bike so he start’s learning the essential’s to keeping his ride running nice and smooth.
      Kinda depend’s on how much you want to spend on him too.You could buy him a bike fit from a local bike shop.Heck you could get him a subscription to a mountain bike magazine.There are different level of tool kit’s you can buy for do-it-yourself maintenance too.
      Most stuff beyond this stuff start’s to get pretty expensive so if you post up how much your looking to spend we could get you a more precise list of goodie’s.

Hey, thanks for the quick response Rocky Mountain Boy! (I grew up in Colorado!!!) So his wife doesn’t think I’m hitting on him, I’m thinking $50 is a good number. I know he’ll have the helmet and the gloves handled, but none of the tools, yet.

"steve32300" wrote

Unless he need’s a helmet or glove’s.Maby a multi tool,or a frame pump with a patch kit.Or even a book on how to maintain a mountain bike so he start’s learning the essential’s to keeping his ride running nice and smooth.
      Kinda depend’s on how much you want to spend on him too.You could buy him a bike fit from a local bike shop.Heck you could get him a subscription to a mountain bike magazine.There are different level of tool kit’s you can buy for do-it-yourself maintenance too.
      Most stuff beyond this stuff start’s to get pretty expensive so if you post up how much your looking to spend we could get you a more precise list of goodie’s.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/pro … ID=1970029

Is this a good take with tool kit?

Every man likes tools, even when we DON’T really know how to use them. Crank Brothers makes a really nice mulitool that folds up and you can carry along in your bag even pocket, if need be. I’ve got one and LOVE it.

http://www.crankbrothers.com/multi19.php

MSRP $33

Or what do you know about helmet video cameras? I know he loves photography. That would be way cool!

"Jeremy_Green" wrote

Every man likes tools, even when we DON’T really know how to use them. Crank Brothers makes a really nice mulitool that folds up and you can carry along in your bag even pocket, if need be. I’ve got one and LOVE it.

MSRP $33

This one looks really nice! Thank you! (So, you’ve got one, do you know how to use it?!)

Dude! I was just looking at your gear list, hoping to get other ideas. I looked at the light…you guys must r-e-a-l-l-y love riding…$500 for a light! Omg!

Thank you for your input, btw! (Go OSU! Sorry was born a Buckeye.)

"Mongoose" wrote

[quote="oohlalajulia":xnjcgts2]http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?sku=5111&cm_mmc=affiliate-_-datafeed-_-null-_-null&PID=1970029

Is this a good take with tool kit?

That one is a nice set, and also the Crank Brothers. I have one of those Crank Brothers Multi-Tool sets along with a Parks. They are really awesome to have on the trails. Good luck![/quote:xnjcgts2]

Hey, thanks for the quick response Rocky Mountain Boy! (I grew up in Colorado!!!)

Well then,,,that’s make’s you a rocky mountain girl oohlalajulia 😉 hahaahah.
      Does he have a camel bak or back pack yet?I dont like the under seat pack,s,they really flop around while mountain biking and dont last that long in my experience because of that.I almost lost my $80 multi tool when the pack started to tear from all the bouncing around.I carry everything in my camel bak hydration pack so I know I wont lose anything.Just my experience,anyone else have the same problem??

RMB:

I feel…blonde! I just looked up the Camelpak hydration pack, but it lists the reservoir separately. I need someone to go with me and hold my hand. I really don’t want to give him a gift card. So lame. I guess I could just get him the pack and the gift receipt and hope he loves it! What I really want to get him is the helmet camera…I know he would love that!

Post some photos!!!

RMG

"steve32300" wrote
      Hey, thanks for the quick response Rocky Mountain Boy! (I grew up in Colorado!!!)

Well then,,,that’s make’s you a rocky mountain girl oohlalajulia 😉 hahaahah.
      Does he have a camel bak or back pack yet?I dont like the under seat pack,s,they really flop around while mountain biking and dont last that long in my experience because of that.I almost lost my $80 multi tool when the pack started to tear from all the bouncing around.I carry everything in my camel bak hydration pack so I know I wont lose anything.Just my experience,anyone else have the same problem??

"oohlalajulia" wrote

[quote="Jeremy_Green":2ie198c5]Every man likes tools, even when we DON’T really know how to use them. Crank Brothers makes a really nice mulitool that folds up and you can carry along in your bag even pocket, if need be. I’ve got one and LOVE it.

MSRP $33

This one looks really nice! Thank you! (So, you’ve got one, do you know how to use it?!)[/quote:2ie198c5]

😉 I’m pretty good with the mutitool at this point. Actually, it’s very sturdy and has just enough weight behind it that I’ve even figured out 2 other uses for it that the website doesn’t list: hammer and frizbee. I figured both off those out after having to repair a chain for the 4th time on a ride. Eventually, I just wanted to pound the crap out of something and the tool performed amazingly. After "hammering" the side of the chain until my knuckles bled, I then found out how well the tool could fly through the air. 😳 😆

You are so funny! And a dork!

"Jeremy_Green" wrote

[quote="oohlalajulia":1gca7o9k][quote="Jeremy_Green":1gca7o9k]Every man likes tools, even when we DON’T really know how to use them. Crank Brothers makes a really nice mulitool that folds up and you can carry along in your bag even pocket, if need be. I’ve got one and LOVE it.

MSRP $33

This one looks really nice! Thank you! (So, you’ve got one, do you know how to use it?!)[/quote:1gca7o9k]

😉 I’m pretty good with the mutitool at this point. Actually, it’s very sturdy and has just enough weight behind it that I’ve even figured out 2 other uses for it that the website doesn’t list: hammer and frizbee. I figured both off those out after having to repair a chain for the 4th time on a ride. Eventually, I just wanted to pound the crap out of something and the tool performed amazingly. After "hammering" the side of the chain until my knuckles bled, I then found out how well the tool could fly through the air. 😳 😆[/quote:1gca7o9k] 😆

Wanted to chime in on your CamelBak question…

When you buy the bag you get the resevoir as well. You can buy extra resevoirs without having to get the bag as well if you already have one or just want a bigger resevior.

You guys have been great! Thank you for all the information! I know what to get now. I am going to get both the pack and the tool kit you recommended. Take care of your knuckles, JG!!! And LSU boy, another year, another playoff!

Texas, not so bad. San Antonio, though, is a whole nother story! I ask myself that regularly. But at least I don’t have to worry about my city or state being wiped off the map by the next hurricane!!!

And how many times has LSU been to the playoffs? I honestly don’t know. But I’m guessing less than OSU!!! If I’m wrong, I’ll wear purple today in your honor!

(We should all just move some place great like Colorado where I grew up! We’ll have mountains, the great outdoors, and lots and lots of pollution!!!)

"Mongoose" wrote

[quote="oohlalajulia":3bk3hhay]You guys have been great! Thank you for all the information! I know what to get now. I am going to get both the pack and the tool kit you recommended. Take care of your knuckles, JG!!! And LSU boy, another year, another playoff!

You say another year, another playoff 😮 , but OSU had three chances for the National Title and blew all three off 😎 . Not another year nor another playoff!! 😉 How’s that old saying go, hmmmmm, oh, I remember now……"One strike, Two strikes, Three strikes your out of here" 😆

That was a great choice for your friend and he should be happy to have such a friend as you are to him. BTW, what is a "Buckeye" living in TX? Strange!! :?: Just kidding![/quote:3bk3hhay] 😛

[url:262og7ii]http://www.goprocamera.com/index4.htm[/url:262og7ii]

Or what do you know about helmet video cameras? I know he loves photography. That would be way cool!

You might want to check out this site for go pro camera’s if your still looking,or he might want to check it out himself if he’s into photography.

"steve32300" wrote

[url:37aurg7k]http://www.goprocamera.com/index4.htm[/url:37aurg7k]

You might want to check out this site for go pro camera’s if your still looking,or he might want to check it out himself if he’s into photography.

I looked at a different site (same camera) after I read about yours! I found one on sale…not a big discount, but everything helps, right?

Thank you!

You bet it does.I’m not really into the video stuff but singletracks.com gave one away here on singltracks for a contest and that’s why I thought the go pro would be a good one to check out.And if you get one,I know there’s some people on this website that have em so you can ask about em right here.

So, I did it! I ordered him the Go Pro Helmet Camera!!! I did find out that he had zero gear, other than the basics…a helmet. But if he for some reason doesn’t love the camera, he can return it and use the money for a bladder bag, tool kit, etc. Thanks for everyone’s help and input! KISS!

Very cooool,you’r deffinatly a giver.Want to see MY wish list????hahahaahaha.Oh well,cant hurt to ask.
      Dont forget to tell your freind about singletracks.com and have him register so he can get some help with that new go pro helmet camera. 😃

I HAVE looked at your wish list…y-a-w-n. It’s like asking for, I don’t know, underwear for Christmas.

"steve32300" wrote

Very cooool,you’r deffinatly a giver.Want to see MY wish list????hahahaahaha.Oh well,cant hurt to ask.
      Dont forget to tell your freind about singletracks.com and have him register so he can get some help with that new go pro helmet camera. 😃

I hope you know I’m just teasing you!!!

"oohlalajulia" wrote

I HAVE looked at your wish list…y-a-w-n. It’s like asking for, I don’t know, underwear for Christmas.

[quote="steve32300":2raqpooc]Very cooool,you’r deffinatly a giver.Want to see MY wish list????hahahaahaha.Oh well,cant hurt to ask.

[/quote:2raqpooc]

Hahahahaha,I know,I dont need much.I do want one of those light’s like mongoose has though,how much was it??$500?Oh,and I wouldnt mind having a brand new surlely instigator frame and ridged fork,and how about a life time supply of tire’s.
      I’ll be sure to put that on my wish list in my profile.hahahahahaaha.

What about you oohlalajulia??do you mountain bike?

Breaking up the "bro-mance"!!!

I am not a mountain biker…I know. Pitiful. I rock climb!!! I’m taking flying lessons! Does that make me a little more cool? Okay. Maybe not. Boot me off the forums. I am not a poser, though. I admitted upfront I was clueless.

And here’s a laugh on me. So, after I read your comment about letting my friend know about this site, I sent it to him…and then remembered the way I found out about it was through him. He is so going to think I’m a moron.

So, another question. I know I’m going to regret this one. What do you all get out of mountain biking, besides getting really dirty, spending lots of money, and (I’m guessing) hurt a lot? Or is it because you all just like wearing spandex?!

"steve32300" wrote

What about you oohlalajulia??do you mountain bike?

😆

[/quote]So, another question. I know I’m going to regret this one. What do you all get out of mountain biking, besides getting really dirty, spending lots of money, and (I’m guessing) hurt a lot? Or is it because you all just like wearing spandex?!

Must be the nerve of somtimes riding next to a 1000 ft. cliff on a tight rope like peice of singletrack without any safty equipment,just us and the bike.Plust most of us here have been riding some kind of bike ever since we can remember.Oh,and the spandex does work better if worn without underwear.hahahahaha.But most mountain bikers wear short’s over there spandex.hahahahaha.I know I do.Plus a mountain biker is a true lover of the outdoor’s and yes the dirt.You shoud know that growing up here in colorado oohlala.

And here’s a laugh on me. So, after I read your comment about letting my friend know about this site, I sent it to him…and then remembered the way I found out about it was through him. He is so going to think I’m a moron.

He’s not going to think your a moron julie as long as your talking mountain bike’s or good freind’s.Especially one with a pretty face and bearing helmet camera’s for b-day gift’s.Your the best it looks like to me.But tell me though,is he going to find out that you are buying him a hemet cam by reading the forum’s here before the big suprise of opening his gift at the b-day party??

I am not a mountain biker…I know. Pitiful. I rock climb!!! I’m taking flying lessons! Does that make me a little more cool? Okay. Maybe not. Boot me off the forums. I am not a poser, though. I admitted upfront I was clueless.[quote]

Flying lesson’s,now there’s an expensive hobby.My riding partner is cerified in all kind’s of flying,stunt,commercial etc…got no bone’s with that.And the rock climbing,talk about dangerous and risky.My cousin’s kid that is born and raised up in vail is a rock climber,took 7th. in the nation last year in his age division of 12 yrs.
      As for being clueless,I’m not going to touch that one.But your not a mountin biker either,so yes,off to the alligator filled river with you.hahahahaha.but you gotta buy me a b-day gift first.hahahaha.

$500

Not in a million years, I can get a new hardtail for that amount!

Or a new instigator frame and ridged fork.

Okay. More confessions! I’m laughing, because the way YOU describe things makes me look really good! But the reason I’m taking flying lessons is to conquer my fear of plunging to my death from high places. Same with rock climbing…which I’ve only done at indoor facilities.

And as long as you just wear spandex for riding…I’m good:-)

The "nerve" part I’m going to take you to task on. There are some out there that would have another name for taking such risks. I can think of lots of other ways to get your adrenalin going and they don’t involve dying! Besides, I’m becoming rather attached to you RMB.

No, my friend won’t think I’m a moron. He is too good a person. He, his wife and daughter are like family to me. And as of last night, he knew I was on the forums because we talked. I don’t think he would try to find out early. I don’t know that he is forum reading kind of guy, but you never know!

So. When is your birthday?!

"steve32300" wrote

[/quote:2uhk8sid]So, another question. I know I’m going to regret this one. What do you all get out of mountain biking, besides getting really dirty, spending lots of money, and (I’m guessing) hurt a lot? Or is it because you all just like wearing spandex?!

Must be the nerve of somtimes riding next to a 1000 ft. cliff on a tight rope like peice of singletrack without any safty equipment,just us and the bike.Plust most of us here have been riding some kind of bike ever since we can remember.Oh,and the spandex does work better if worn without underwear.hahahahaha.But most mountain bikers wear short’s over there spandex.hahahahaha.I know I do.Plus a mountain biker is a true lover of the outdoor’s and yes the dirt.You shoud know that growing up here in colorado oohlala.

And here’s a laugh on me. So, after I read your comment about letting my friend know about this site, I sent it to him…and then remembered the way I found out about it was through him. He is so going to think I’m a moron.[quote:2uhk8sid]

He’s not going to think your a moron julie as long as your talking mountain bike’s or good freind’s.Especially one with a pretty face and bearing helmet camera’s for b-day gift’s.Your the best it looks like to me.But tell me though,is he going to find out that you are buying him a hemet cam by reading the forum’s here before the big suprise of opening his gift at the b-day party??

I am not a mountain biker…I know. Pitiful. I rock climb!!! I’m taking flying lessons! Does that make me a little more cool? Okay. Maybe not. Boot me off the forums. I am not a poser, though. I admitted upfront I was clueless.

Flying lesson’s,now there’s an expensive hobby.My riding partner is cerified in all kind’s of flying,stunt,commercial etc…got no bone’s with that.And the rock climbing,talk about dangerous and risky.My cousin’s kid that is born and raised up in vail is a rock climber,took 7th. in the nation last year in his age division of 12 yrs.
      As for being clueless,I’m not going to touch that one.But your not a mountin biker either,so yes,off to the alligator filled river with you.hahahahaha.but you gotta buy me a b-day gift first.hahahaha.

😳

I don’t remember whose wish list it was on, but the light did run for right about $500.

"Mongoose" wrote
      I do want one of those light’s like mongoose has though,how much was it??$500?

😮 $500 😮

Not in a million years, I can get a new hardtail for that amount! 😉

Sounds like maybe you do need some underwear for Christmas, RMB:-)

Oh man,I need an epic right now.where’s my bike??

Ah HA! Dude, $250 for a little is STILL expensive!!!

"steve32300" wrote

Oh man,I need an epic right now.where’s my bike??

Ruh roh. Did I scare you, man of steel nerves?

Light…not "little"…sigh…it’s Friday.

"oohlalajulia" wrote

Ah HA! Dude, $250 for a little is STILL expensive!!!

Ruh roh. Did I scare you, man of steel nerves?

I’m headed up to fruita today to check my nerves on zippety doo dah,see ya up there. 😃

Wow,do I feel better after riding Prime cut,chutes and latters,frontside, western zippety do da,kessel,mary’s loop,and on the way back down I-70 I stopped at Mathews/Winters park and rode red rocks trail as far as I could till it got too dark to ride.Man,there was a deer on the other side of the hill where the big rock is and neither of us seen each other,but he seen me first and bolted just before I seen him and the sound of those hoove’s gave me a jolt for a second because he was so close. 😮 Then a bunch of those morning doves were sitting on the trail about 20 ft. after that and didnt take off untill I got right up to them,it was getting pretty dark by then so I couldnt see ahead of myself,damn bird’s.hahahaha.
      The weather was perfect in Fruita today,still a little on the hot side but perfect.Ran into some riders from Englnad,canada,california,washington,etc…etc…Everyone really seemed to be in heaven up there this weekend.
      The one trail that has my attention now is the Edge Loop,If youve rode the edge please tell me about your experience with it,I’m out to ride it hopfully before the weather get’s here this year.I have not rode it yet,and it’s got my attention,it’s an all day ride(29 mile’s if you dont know)and being a clydesdale it might take me a little longer.hahahahaahah.

Viewing 35 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.