Broken Frame, 2008 Trek EX 8. Anyone else???

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author

[size=150:18l3wih9]Soooo, I bought a used 08 Trek EX 8 from my local shop. 2 weeks later the Left seat-stay on the swing arm SNAPS! I didn’t even get to break it while doing something awesome, broke on a tiny jump in the first 5 minutes of a ride.[/size:18l3wih9]

Wow thats new…..Sorry about your bike..I hope the shop is going to warranty that..

It looks like the tube is a bit thin though..

Rode a Fuel EX8 for 3+ years with no problems….had to run it over with my van to break the frame 😳

Did get a new Niner Rip 9 out of the deal though 😃

I bought my trek fuel EX 8 last year in Tucson, it broke the same way.. hope they are fixing this under warranty, right now I am working in Mexico will bring it in this weekend and see what happens, all the bikes have scratches from rocks in that area, no excuse to brake though, the 2009 if you notice it’s revised and the swingarm is thicker.

Dave[/b]

mine broke today at almost the exact same spot. it was back just a hair at the weld. took it directly to the shop and said that it is pretty common. will replace with new swing arm but trek will not paint it. it will come in a gloss black.

And I thought the Trek prices were to fund Lance’s endorsements, how silly of me… 😼

The more everyone else’s Treks, Yeti’s etc break…the more I like my Giant!

Sorry to hear your frame broke. Did you have any luck with a replacement? My EX8 just broke tonight as well. It broke up above the EX8 logo. I hit a moderate tranny jump landed a litlle bit rear heavy and heard a breaking sound. I bought it new and have been riding it for two seasons now. It’s been a great bike until now. I hope Trek will back their product.

"maddslacker" wrote

And I thought the Trek prices were to fund Lance’s endorsements, how silly of me… 😼

The more everyone else’s Treks, Yeti’s etc break…the more I like my Giant!

Giant has had a few problems too, with their Anthem bikes. Some of them are cracking at the top tube/seat tube junction. They had to recall all of the Anthen X29ers before anyone even took delivery because of they discovered the junction was too thin and they’re going to beef it up some. At least they got those before they started breaking, unlike the 26" wheels.

Yeah, I heard about that too.

Yeah, it happens. Every frame can break, it’s how manufacturers take care of their customers that really matters.

I know one guy that’s been riding well over a decade, and he’s broken EVERY frame he’s ever had (including some boutique stuff) except a Specialized FS of some sort.

😆 I think we know the same guy…the guy I know just had his less than a year old Gary Fisher Roscoe repaired

Wow its kinda obvious who hates Trek in the group………..

"outlawracer" wrote

Wow its kinda obvious who hates Trek in the group………..

The point is, if you’re going to buy a Taiwanese frame, buy it from a Taiwanese company… 😉

I’ll stick with Kona. Built to last and awesome customer service when stuff goes wrong.

I broke a Kona spec handlebar back in college (PA) when I cased a stair gap, two days later I got a call from my Kona dealer (in VT) saying the bars had been recalled and they shipped a brand-y new MonkeyLite DH to my apartment free of charge. Awesome.

I’m sure it happens to all the mfg’ers sometime, I had a hairline crack just above the brace weld on the seat tube on my 09 Jamis Trail-X 3.0. Jamis not only replaced the frame, they gave me a "upgrade" to a Durango 3.0 frame at their expense and basicly paid to have all the parts switched over from the old frame to the new! My only out of pocket expense was a new "headset" as the Durango frame has a "zero stack" HS. I really surprised that a huge company like Trek, wouldn’t just take care of it asap! 😏

Hello,

I just cracked mine at the same spot today and I’m really pissed out because I have got it used and do not have any warranty on it. It happened after 1 month of using it. I bought it from a 45kg woman, so I’m sure she has not damaged it. The problem is that I’m from Slovakia and the dealers here are really dumb. They take really long to respond and I don’t think they will be able to get a new swing arm for me. I would have no problem to pay for it as well. I just want to get back on bike ASAP. I have talked to the Trek guy from USA and he told me to talk to my local dealer. I will see what they say if they say anything. Otherwise I can throw my frame out and go get something else. Not happy.

My first impression is that the trek guy doesn’t understand your sitation,and my second impression is that your local bike store doesn’t understand either.No pun intendeed,but if you gotta pay,it’ll still be cheaper for half a frame than a new one.I would continue hitting on both the US trek dealer AND your local dealer to try and get this resolved relatively soon,if not,Then. Go get a new frame..best of luck…

I’m lucky I have another bike I can ride. It is Giant Reign 2005. It is an older frame but great bike after all. The shock is old and does not have nice propedal like the Fox RP’s but better than nothing. The US trek told me to turn to my local dealer and don’t want to talk to me anymore. I’m talking to my local dealer but they proposed me to go get it weld. I don’t think this is the best solution in case of safety. I don’t want to brake my neck going downhill in 45km/h because of the broken frame. I’m sure if I were in the States the warranty case would be solved in no time.

I also have a 2008 trek fuel EX8 that is cracking, in a different spot. Seat post tube right below the clamp. I’ve talked to 3 different people at the local trek stores, and they all say its a common problem. next step is trying to see if i can get it warrantied even tho i am the second owner. This is the 2nd Trek i’ve owned. we’ll see if i have any luck getting them to warranty this problem even tho i’m not the original purchaser of the bike.

"mxxmikexx" wrote

I also have a 2008 trek fuel EX8 that is cracking, in a different spot. Seat post tube right below the clamp. I’ve talked to 3 different people at the local trek stores, and they all say its a common problem. next step is trying to see if i can get it warrantied even tho i am the second owner. This is the 2nd Trek i’ve owned. we’ll see if i have any luck getting them to warranty this problem even tho i’m not the original purchaser of the bike.

They did it for a friend of mine which was also a second owner, so they should do it for you. They warranty the frame for life, not per owner. Good luck, though i have seen so many issues in reference to frames cracking or body parts getting stress cracks as well.

My Trek Remedy frame has cracked twice, and Trek has graciously replaced it for me both times. Part of my success in seeking a warranty replacement may have been due to the excellent support from Poison Spider bike shop in Moab. Trek also has a web support page, so if your shop sucks, or you got the bike used, you may wish to try that.

Viewing 20 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.