Breathing Aid.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

Was reading through some old material and ran into this tip. If you find yourself gasping(I Do) on a climb and loose the ability to stay with it. (I Do) Rather than becoming a gravity victum (heavy people are) try this. When you are starting to work hard or know you are about to concentrait on blowing air OUT of your lungs, Exhale Hard. The more air you remove from your lungs the easier it is for them to fill. The lungs are designed to fill and if you exhale the old air the new air will rush in easily. You will have more power and last longer. Don’t knock it till you try it. You’ll be able to go farther, longer and feel better. I blow out through my mouth and let the mouth AND nose do their jobs better. Still fat but this works. 😄 Later,

NERD ALERT, NERD ALERT:

This may sound counter intuitive, but the reason that the vast majority of people breathe is actually due to a build up of carbon dioxide in the blood stream rather than a lack of oxygen in the blood stream.

The build up of CO2 is a result of cellular respiration when your body breaks down glucose for energy production. The more glucose you are breaking down to produce the needed energy, the more CO2 you produce. CO2 combines with water (H2O) in your blood and turns into carbonic acid(H2CO3). As the acid levels in your blood build up, your blood pH level becomes more and more acidic. Our body’s have built in chemoreceptors that are incredibly sensitive to the pH of the blood and unconciously tell the brain to "breathe faster" to off-gas the CO2 as well as to continue supplying O2 for further energy production.

This explains why forcefully exhaling can actually help you catch your breath. You off gas the CO2 faster and the chemoreceptors then slow down your breathing when the pH levels return to normal.

I picked this tip up some time ago for running, and have applied it to biking as well. I don’t understand all that mumbo-jumbo or why it works, but it does seem to work. Give it a try.

Inhale-exhale-repeat. Think I got it, LOL 😄 Later,

"fat_billy" wrote

Inhale-exhale-repeat. Think I got it, LOL 😄 Later,

Yup! That’s it 😀

I think you have a good point in your first post. On a big climb, it’s easy to forget to breathe properly. You’re focused on other things and you tend to take fast, shallow breaths. I’d never thought of this before, but that would definitely wear you out faster. Making a point of fully exhaling each time should help a lot.

"fat_billy" wrote

Still fat but this works. 😄 Later,

+1 😄 agree! lol… hahah

I’ve noticed that if you concentrate on your breathing you are less likely to notice your fatigue. 99% of the time your mind gives up loooong before your body. It really works well when you’re rock climbing (especially if you get nervous or start to panic).
      Also, that percentage was made up on the spot.

Check it out……

viewtopic.php?f=98&t=6575

Just a piece about breathing in this tutorial…..

"BREATHE LIKE A MACHINE:

Instead of mindless panting, develop a solid, rhythmic breathing pattern
      that you can synchronize with your pedal strokes. This helps you
      maintain a steady pace and keeps you from feeling out of control (and
      psyching yourself out) during extreme efforts. Steady breathes deliver
      oxygen better than even the fastest gasps, especially if you actively
      force air from your lungs instead of just passively exhaling. This
      flushes more carbon dioxide (the main cause of shortness of breath) out
      of your bloodstream."

This does sound counter productive, But I find that if I start to lose controll of my breathing I actually hold my breathe for a quick second. This forces a long exhale and a long inhale which helps me regain the correct rythym.
      Works for me!

Force the air out, Force the air in, Hold it to make the force easier. Bottom line you are focused on your breathing. What ever works is better than panting. I’ve got it, a Camelback with oxygen tank for climbs. Over 5 degrees it works on demand till you heart explodes. Apon crashing it despences NO2 till pain goes away. Nitrus can be refilled with careful use of Whipped Cream containers. Patent applied for. 😄 Later

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.