Breaking out the Bike after a long break

Tagged: 

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

Hi everyone. I’m a newbie here and just wanted to say hi.

I bought a Trek 6500 Mountain Bike in June of 2001. I rode a lot the first 2 years I had it but then my girlfriend kinda got jealous of it so to keep the peace biking fell along the wayside. Well we’ve just recently moved on our separate ways and one of the first things I did was break out the bike. I went on a short 3 mile ride tonight and it felt great. Never should have given it up.

I gotta take it easy because I’m 46 years old and it’s been 7 years since I’ve ridden and there is a big difference between 39 and 46 trust me 😀 So I’ll be easing back into it slowly.

Lots of good information on here and I can’t wait to get back to riding every day. The end of the relationship came right at the beginning of spring so good timing !

Don’t feel bad, I was in the same boat when I was married. I’ve been divorced for three years now and I’ve gone from one bike in the garage to five. However, 2 belong to my girlfriend (don’t be jealous!) Good luck and go get lost on the trails and enjoy yourself!!!!

"interwoven" wrote

Hi everyone. I’m a newbie here and just wanted to say hi.

I bought a Trek 6500 Mountain Bike in June of 2001. I rode a lot the first 2 years I had it but then my girlfriend kinda got jealous of it so to keep the peace biking fell along the wayside. Well we’ve just recently moved on our separate ways and one of the first things I did was break out the bike. I went on a short 3 mile ride tonight and it felt great. Never should have given it up.

I gotta take it easy because I’m 46 years old and it’s been 7 years since I’ve ridden and there is a big difference between 39 and 46 trust me 😀 So I’ll be easing back into it slowly.

Lots of good information on here and I can’t wait to get back to riding every day. The end of the relationship came right at the beginning of spring so good timing !

Welcome back. I didn’t really get beyond rails to trails til I was 46. 50+ now and ride all the time, but just pace myself. Enjoy that bike!

From one newb to another, Welcome!

Sorry to hear about the break up, but what a silver lining, huh? I’m in the 40 year old bracket (just barely though) and usually outpace my younger riding buddies, so don’t let age bother you. Welcome to Singletracks and good luck!

"fleetwood" wrote

Sorry to hear about the break up, but what a silver lining, huh? I’m in the 40 year old bracket (just barely though) and usually outpace my younger riding buddies, so don’t let age bother you. Welcome to Singletracks and good luck!

Seems like quite a few of us 40+ in the mtb world. Trek7 quoted a number a few years ago for the average age of a mountain biker. I want to say it was upper 30’s. Anyone know what that number is? A lot of older riders in my area, but it seems like there’s also a lot of younger ones entering now too (which can only be good).

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

"fleetwood" wrote

Yeah it stinks but oh well. 10 year relationship but no kids and we never moved in together so a relatively easy split. Could be WAAAYYY worse.

And yes a silver lining that I enjoyed on Sunday. I went for a ride up around some of the bike trails in my area and tried out an app on my phone that tracks my route and uploads pics and stuff of the route. Here is the link to my ride. It’s a bit slow loading but it’s kinda neat. If this stuff doesn’t go here let me know for the future:

http://01mate.com/BikemateMashup/FlexMa … 4c89&mile=

Thanks again for the welcome!

Welcome! Dont feel bad I just started last year and you can outrun me 😃

Welcome back to the mountain bike world. I’m only 28, and to see so many people older than me still shredding the trails is encouraging. I look forward to being in my 50’s and still riding hard! Keep at it everyone!

43 here and loving it. Just got into mountain biking myself. I try to get out every night after work and do a little riding.

Welcome interwoven,
      Im 30 going on 31 and been on a mtb for a few (3-4) years and I must say the older I get and the longer I ride the better I get, so age is in the mind my friend plus it helps that my wife is 23 and she keeps me young 😆 And not only that but I have a 2year old and a 5week old that I want to stay healthy for so that when they come of age 4,5,6 they might want to start riding with mom and dad. Im in the process of getting ready to start riding to work which would be 18-19 miles roundtrip mostly on a metwork of trails that run through Colorado Springs which would minimize the travel on the roads…

Anyhow have fun out there be safe and enjoy the ride………

Welcome back 😃

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.