Brake Levers

Tagged: ,

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

I recently purchased a new 2011 Trek 4300 disc. The bike was adjusted and everything at the shop before I picked it up. One thing I noticed is that the front brake lever is a little stiffer with less travel than the rear. The rear brake works perfectly with great stopping power, I just have to pull the lever a little further and the pull is a little softer than the front. The front brake takes maybe a quarter inch of pull to really slow you down, the rear is more like a half inch. Is this normal due to the longer length of the rear brake hose. I do not think the rear brakes have air in the system since stopping power is great. Any info is appreciated. Thank you.

Sounds like you bought it from a decent shop, I’d take it back and let them relook @ brake set up. The length of the hose should not effect the feel. 😄 Later,

could still be air. could also be that your levers have a reach adjustment feature that you are unaware of that could be tweaked to even out the feel.

Well both levers extend out to the same place. Its just the first quarter inch or so of pull does little to nothing while the front is apply some good force at the same lever pull. Is there an adjustment for this?

before i assume too much, are they hydraulic discs or mechanical discs? as long as they are hydro, I would still think air in the line. it makes one lever feel softer than the other and reduces some of your braking power. even though they make have just been set up or bled, if they didn’t get all the air out you are going to run into this problem.

They are hornet hydro dual piston discs. Guess I’ll just bring it in and have them bled.

rmontgo — check this thread for some really good advice about how to possibly fix the original problem with little or no expense — thanks to some good advice from element22:

viewtopic.php?f=96&t=5649

I have what sounds like an almost identical problem with an EX6 Trek and have been looking for a fix.

If you have been riding the bike with the brakes like this, When you do fix the problem it may not be "fixed" because you pads may have worn/bedded in a weird shape or pattern. Be sure to check for uneven wear.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.