Best Vacation For Mountain Biking

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author

I am looking to take a mountain biking vacation. It will be my first one. Does anyone have past trips that they will share. good or bad.

Thanks
      Denny

BFD

Moab, Utah. SLICKROCK.

Moab, Utah. SLICKROCK.

I’ll second that,we were there last year during the 24 hour’s of moab and even though we didnt go watch even one lap of the race(too busy riding),it was like being in a parade for mounain bike’s the whole time we were there.I mean,whether we were on the trail or in town eating at a restaurant there were moutntain bike’s as far as the eye could see.It felt like seeing the buffalo before they were mass hunted.Just mtb’s everywhere,seriously like being in a fantasy.

[/quote]good or bad.

That was the good part up above,the bad part for me was I had just bought my stumpjumper elite and being a 280 plb. clydesdale,was in for a suprise on the sandstone of slickrock trail.I never made it more than 2 or 3 mile’s down slickrock with the stock pawl body inside my drive shell,and direct traction between my wheel and the sandstone were about to show me who was in charge that day.
      We made 3 trip’s to slickrock trail that weekend before I realized I was not going to ride slickrock on this weekend trip.The first trip to slickrock,the pawl body broke and I walked out 2 mile’s in,while my buddie’s kept going.I took my buddie’s truck and went back into town and had my pawl body replaced at a lbs in town.Went back and pick’ed them up and headed back into town to have lunch and after a 3 hour break went back to slick rock with eager anticipation on my part because my buddie’s were willing to reride slickrock when we had other trail’s planned for the day.Again,about 2 mile’s in the pawl body broke again.Same story again,back to town,back to trail,back to town for dinner.Next day my buddie was still willing to ride slickrock again because I had never ridden it and he reallly wanted me to ride it.This time the pawl body did not break(yet)but the chain that had been taking all that abuse from the previous day was in no shape now to even think about a 12 mile trip on slickrock with a 280 plb. clydesdale on it.The chain gave out and was in no shape to reuse,plus I was just frustrated at this point.Not because I had to fix the chain but because thing’s were not going as planned.We still wanted to make it over to Bartlett wash so we chose to just head into town and get a new chain and head out to bartlett wash.Again,about a couple of mile’s in the pawl body broke again on the sandstone of moab,it didnt break all the way this time but I could tell if I were to hammer a couple good hills on that sand stone it wouldnt be long before it gave up the ghost as well.I was able to ride out to the trail head,but was not having fun nursing another broke pawl body.
      Now aday’s I’m riding a DT swiss ratchet style hub and all is going well so far.I have yet to go back to moab and try it out,although I’m planning on being there by the end of this year’s riding season.Hope you enjoyed this story from the other side because it still stress’es me out thinking about it.hahahahahaahah.

If your heading up to moab,you might as well go to fruita as well if you have the time.There are ton’s of trail’s to ride between fruita,grand junction,mac,rabbit valley.Here is a link to check out

[url:2zz8xwub]http://www.gjmountainbiking.com/visit.html[/url:2zz8xwub]

Post back if you have any question’s,the more prepared you are the better the trip will be,beleive me cause I know,hahahahahaah.

Denny
      Check out mtbikeoregon.com if July or August will work for you and you want a good deal and some great riding. I lived in Spokane for quiet a while and have riden some of the same types of trails. They rock.
      As soon as I get back from the desert in 09 I’ll book for July of 10.
      Enjoy the ride where ever you go,
      John

You could use the IMBA Epic rides as a list of trails and go from there. Better yet pick a few that are relatively close together and multi epics in a short period of time.

BFD

Denny, I can’t see where you’re from, but I’ll assume you’re not from Colorado? If not, this is your destination…Pick a trail, any trail.
      From Durango to Fruita to Evergreen…We have epic covered!

Look’s like Staunton Illinois on his profile.Look’s like to actually have a vacation he’ll need to come out west.hahahahaah.And yes,if you come out to colorado there are more trail’s than most coloradoan’s can ride between the front range,ski resort’s,western slope,not to mention just plain ol’ moutain trail’s like that are in goergetown,leadville,estas park,etc..You’ll deffinatly need a travel guide to ride colorado and the the real riding season is on the way if not here.Still a little hot but places like breckenridge,winter park,salida,etc…have lot’s of tree cover on there trail’s that make for exceptionally comfortable riding.
      😮 😮 GO TO COLORADO,GO TO COLORADO 😮 😮

No offense to the great western MTB trails, but NC, GA, and VA have some real fine MTB trails and awesome scenery.

No offense taken,I’ve heard and read a few thing’s about NC,GA,and VA that are just givin me the itch to get down there.If I do,it could be the start of my mountain bike fantasy of just roaming around the country going from trail head to trail head and just riding.Man,wouldnt that be somthing a mountain biker could write a book about??The diary of a mad man mountain biker,hahahahaahah.

BTW, I noticed you had a Marin MTB, how to they handle? I was always curious about that brand MTB.

Marin is a bad ass when it come’s to frame’s,even the pine mountain I had was a little big for me but it just felt right and excellerated flawlessly.The pine mountain I had was for a taller person and made for mainly cross country riding but that thing still held my imagination because it just felt cool.It was’nt the right bike for me because it was the very first mountain bike I bought and I bought it without any help or direction in mind and while I was on the road so it was a spur of the moment pruchasse.
      I recently went to the local marin dealer here in town looking for the indian fire road to purchase for my ridged bike I want to build and they had none left to purchase,not even any at the manufacturer.sold out.So yeah,there a nice brand.
      There Mount Vision bike won bike of the year again in 08′ from "the what mountain bike".I think that’s a magazine,I’m not totally sure but they won bike of the year from them a year or two ago also.I’ve never heard of "what mountian bike"but marin was up against 4 other bike’s and won so it say’s somthing.

Ah, the classic east coast vs. west coast debate (for lack of a better word). The trails are so different. Having started mountain biking on the east coast and riding NC/SC/VA/GA/TN the last few years, I definitely miss riding in Colorado. Maybe it’s just the grass is always greener effect…

Personally, I don’t know what trails in Illinois are like. But if they’re similar to east coast trails, think enchanted forest, roots, pine straw, mud, then I’d definitely want my vacation to be somewhere very different like Colorado, now think hard pack, mountain vistas, clean air, and the occasional moose!

, but of course no where as pristine as the "Rocky Mountains

because it is very beautiful throughout the west, especially CO, OR, WA, and of course the "Big Sky Country" (west Montana

I’m all choked up now guy’s,I just cant think of a more mountainess place for a mountain bike to be.hahahaha.The legand is no match for the reality though,when it’s winter here in colorado,it’s either snowing or the snow is melting and making the trail’s muddy.Then of course when it’s summer it’s dry and hot and were so high here that the uv’s come straight through.The end of the summer does’nt get any better though,and ya just cant beat colorado at that point.
      I have a little system I use for up here and it goes a little somthin like this,in the spring I stay on the front range,in the middle of the summer I get on up to the ski resort’s where there are trail’s that run through the forrest’s,and in the fall I hit the western slope and moab when the heat aint so bad.

I cannot get into the debate of east vs. west rides. I have only seen pictures of the west and hope someday will be out there to ride.

I do know that the trails in the south east are so different from where I grew up, New England. I learned to ride on trails that were rocks, roots with a sprinkle of dirt. When I moved to GA I was so suprized to find fast smooth trails. So unlike home.

Do I prefer one over the other? Depends on the day. As long as I am having fun on a mt. bike, enjoyig life it doesn’t really matter.

What an interesting dilema you have. You get to take a vacation with your MTB and want to know the best destination. You can ask 10 people and get 10 different answers.

East coast riders can give many good reasons to visit their great trail systems, left coasters will talk epic rides.

About 12 yrs ago I took a MTB vacation from Ill. (chicago area, not St. Louis) and took in Fruita and Crested Butte, CO (there was an article in that summer’s bicycleing about Fruita and it struck my interest). Had the time of my life and eventually moved out here in large part b/c of that trip.

Moab, Ut is an epic destination and one you wont soon forget either – wherever you decide, I’d like to hear about it and hope you have an incredible time.

A MTB Vacation……. I feel a 2 week notice coming…

Like someone else here said; ask 10 riders and you will get ten different answers, for me the excitement would be to go somewhere quite unlike where I am used to riding everyday. The vacation part of it would have to permit me to ride said trails without a lot of hassle, traffic, crowds, etc.
      I like to go someplace I can camp and then ride different trails in the area for a few days. I did a 6000 mi, 9 western state roadtrip this spring, with a LOT of riding. But I kept getting pissed cause I was spending to much time driving so I made the rules of no more than 250 miles a day and no more than 2 of them in a row without doing some serious riding in between.
      I’m kind of partial to Utah, although its great there is a lot more to do than just Moab, try Thunder Mountain, Gooseberry Mesa and then ride into Zion Valley and feast your eyes on some scenery you will never forget-
      Or go to Tahoe and spend an entire week riding and never ride the same trail twice…

I have my sights on them eastern states next ;)

"dennyconroy" wrote

I am looking to take a mountain biking vacation. It will be my first one. Does anyone have past trips that they will share. good or bad.

Thanks
      Denny

Personally I like Colorado. Fifty years living here I can still come up with new places to ride,camp,hike and fish. Just got back from my last road trip. Salida was only 110 miles away. Eight days 156 miles of riding mostly new trails all within about 50 miles of each other. A new place to fish and I got to visit some of the most remote places in Colorado. One of the best MTB vacations ever. Got it saved I’ll share.. Most were advanced rides with some hike-a-bike about 20 miles each.
      I will get these trails posted soon hopefully. Or get in touch and I can give you details. Only about a month left to ride the high country I had frost every night. Time for a trip to Fruita.
      SWEET SALIDA SINGLETRACK
      Farewell to summer tour part one 8 days 156 miles
      BROWNS CREEK
      SATURDAY 8/30 Colorado Trail- hot springs figure 8
      SUNDAY 8/31 Colorado Trail- Browns Creek Loop
      MONDAY9/1 Colorado Trail-Mt.Princeton trailhead –>Cottonwood Pass(loop)
      TUESDAY 9/2 BEAR CREEK
      Rainbow Trail- Bear Creek–> FSR 108 out and back
      NEDDLE CREEK RESERVOIR in the COCHETOPA HILLS
      WENSDAY 9/3 Right Hand–> Barret Creek
      THURSDAY 9/4 Dutchman Creek Loop
      FRIDAY 9/5 WHITE PINE
      Canyon Creek Trail (loop)
      SATURDAY 9/6 HOMEWARDBOUND
      Rainbow Trail- Silver Creek–> HWY 285 (loop)

Hi,my name is Steve32300 and I ride mountain bike’s.I would rather go riding than go to work,and when I see pic’s like these I get jealous that it was’nt me in these pic’s.And I dont think it’s right that we can’t go riding all the time and just keep on meeting other mountain biker’s to go riding with.hahahahahaah.
      Man,those pic’s are sweeeeeeeeet,and that doe’s sound like a best of vacation.You cant see me right now,but I’m giving you a standing ovation for this one.Nice job on the mtb’ing adventure.

I have been doing some research on a few places East and West. Since it is getting close to winter I will think I will go out west in the spring and go to Florida this winter for my trip. I am going to Alifia State Park in Brandon, FL and ride that area. It is an epic ride and there are other great places to ride in that area. Also my sister lives in Brandon at that will give me a reason to visit here. Thank you for all your input but I am still interested in hearing your stories of your trips.

I will be flying down there how easy is it to ship your bike or has anyone ever had there bike on a plane? Let me know what you guy would do Ship or check it on the plane.

I will be flying down there how easy is it to ship your bike or has anyone ever had there bike on a plane? Let me know what you guy would do Ship or check it on the plane.

There is a pretty extensive aricle in mountain bike action,February 2008 on the subject of taking your bike with you on a plane flight.
      What are the guidline’s for checking a bike when flying?
      The consensus among the airlines we spoke to is that the bicycle muct be properly packaged;and the box containing the bicycle must fit within the 62-inch sizing limit and weigh 50 pounds or under.The handlebars,kickstand,and pedels must be removed and placed inside the box.Southewest Airlines does not charge to fly with your bike if these box dimensions are met.Otherwise,there is a $50 charge each way.
      American Airlines has the same guidlines for the dimensoin’s of the bike box or bag;however,the charge is $83 each way.If you do not have a bike box,American offers bicycle boxes for $20 at the airport,subject to availability.You may want to go to the ticket counter prior to your travel to see if you can obtain one.United Airline’s also abides by the same bike box dimension’s and charges $85 each way for transportation of the bicycle to the U.S. and Canada.
      The article does mention that before 9/11 there experiences of transporting bike’s with the airline’s were pretty much o.k..Although nowadays with hightened security,there bike’s can somtime’s be found with part’s clanging around into other parts such a carbon fiber frame with wheel’s and cog set’s scratching and dinging the frame on the account the tsa(transpertation security admis.)actually looks through your bike case by unpacking and looking under and inbetween everything and not packaging back up the way you had it packed.
      I have never transported my bike by airline’s as of yet,although this article is pretty insightful.And like I said it is kind of extensive but the mba web site has backissues for like $3 I think.I just copied what I thought was the brunt of the point of the article,but there was a list of bike cases and phone number’s to get ahold the company’s that make these bike cases.The rest of this part of the travel with your bike section goes over stuff like what if your bike get’s damaged and how and who is responsible for damage if it get’s damaged and how to make a claim.By the way,the best thing to do is check your bike upon arrival to your destination at the airport and report any damage on the spot because if you get home and call back with a report of damage at that point,you will either have to aquire claims’ forms or go to the airlines web site to fill out a claim and that could take awhile.
      Hope this helps,and if you have any question’s about the aricle just post up and ask/

The singletracks crew is heading out to St. George, UT in a couple weeks and we debated about bringing our bikes or renting. It turns out for a short trip (less than 4 days of riding or so) it’s generally cheaper and less hassle to rent. Most bike shops charge around $40-$50 per day for a FS bike and you can do the math to see if the airline fees come out more or less.

I’m actually looking forward to riding a rental just so I can get a feel for a FS ride since I’ve always ridden a hardtail.

Anyone have recs for trails to ride in St. George? Sounds like Gooseberry Mesa is the most well known trail in the area but what other trails should we consider?

I would say think B.C. In Canada, Theres still a small window; Whistler to Rossland seven summits to the Okanagan there is trails for everybody. Its awsome.. Oh and trek you should defenitly get yourself a full suspension, for the amount you loose with the technology is nothing compared to the confort and control you gain.

I am hoping to visit Whistler towards the end of Oct. – anyone know if its usually still ride-able then?

my guess is no, you could check the whistler mountain website i bet you could find out there for sure

Never use anything but a full suspension bike in Moab. Never.

"pkbinder" wrote

Never use anything but a full suspension bike in Moab. Never.

Sounds like there could be an interesting story imbedded in here somewhere…..

BTW – Just made my annual reservations for the Moab Gold Bar campground April 24-26……..HURRY SPRING!!!

Viewing 23 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.