Best Disc Brakes?

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

I am looking for the best 160mm disc brakes. I’ve read a bunch of reviews and, so far, it seems that the mechanical BB7s are the most reliable, easiest to adjust, and provide the best stopping power for the money. I looked at hydraulic brakes, Avid elixir 5, 7, or CR, and the only thing i can determine from their reviews is that they might work and might not. Either way they seem to be a pain to adjust and/or bleed. I have a Trek Cobia with (freaking) Promax disc brakes. So far their only contribution to my mountain biking adventures have been 5 or 6 trips to the LBS and, recently, a gnarly wipe-out that, hopefully, won’t need surgery to "fix". I’m not too sure where to go from here…please help me out…

Best brake…. Good question

A hydraulic disc brake, is a easy/heavy to adjust, as a mechanical, the bleeding isn’t that hard too. I would always take a hydraulic brake over a mechanical, because you need less power on the levers.

I am a big proponent of the BB7s for the money. If you want to spend more then go with hydraulics, otherwise the BB7s work great, are easy to install and maintain. If I had a $5000 bike I would probably get hydraulics, but that doesn’t really make them better. I stop just fine. 😆

I’ve got a bike in for testing now that has the BB7s, it’s my first time using them, and to be honest…they’re pretty sweet! Hydraulics are more powerful, and take less effort at the lever to stop, and offer better modulation. BUT – they cost more, and are a pain to work on. If I were building up a bike today, I would certainly consider a set of BB7’s. If you live in the mountains, and have lots of long descents where you really use the brakes a lot – go with hydraulics, you’ll appreciate the extra power and your hands wont tire out as quickly. But if you don’t have those huge descents, then the BB7’s are hard to beat for the money I think.

I’ve got a set of Elixers on both of my own bikes (original Elixer R’s on one, and CR’s on the other) and they really do stop really really well. But, the fluid needs to be flushed and replaced at least once a year, and they make a ton of noise. The BB7’s I’ve been using for about a month now haven’t make a single noise.

If I were buying hydro’s today, I’d get the Shimano XT’s. I demoed a few bikes with them and really liked them. I’m tired of the noise from my Elixers and am ready to try something besides Avid.

Hydro’s stop better, but BB7’s stop pretty dang good too.

I’ll add my yes vote. I own BB7s and Avid Juicy Ultimates. I definitely like the Juicys better, but the BB7 was still pretty darned good. I never had issues with fatigue using the BB7s, even on long downhills, and I found that if the rotor gets slightly bent I can just back off the pads a bit to prevent them from rubbing and keep going with the BB7s — you typically don’t have that adjustment with hydraulics. I don’t think there is any difference from the noise perspective since these brakes have essentially the same rotors and pads.

"dgaddis" wrote

I’ve got a set of Elixers on both of my own bikes (original Elixer R’s on one, and CR’s on the other) and they really do stop really really well. But, the fluid needs to be flushed and replaced at least once a year, and they make a ton of noise. The BB7’s I’ve been using for about a month now haven’t make a single noise.

I hate those DOT-brakes, for this reason.

Noise should be the same, because the basic system is the same.

I’ll jump off the Avid-wagon for a sec here and say that Hayes hydros are the way to go. Not only are Hayes brakes time tested but their rotors are just [i:348yxj5u]slightly [/i:348yxj5u]thicker than Avid rotors and that helps tremendously to stop you. I rode BB7s until I needed to replace the pads and upgraded to a Hayes Stroker setup and would never go back. The BB7s were always needing small adjustments to stop rubbing and once they reached the end of their pads’ life (they still had about 25% life left) it sounded like a turkey call whenever I was hot on the brake lever. Yes BB7s are great for the money but I’d rather have ultimate performance and 1 finger braking and I didn’t get either of those out of BB7s.

My Hayes Stroker Trail setup was only a little more expensive than a BB7 setup and it’s 10x better in my book.

Thank you guys for your help. My bike isn’t terribly fancy so I think I’ll go with the BB7s. Inexpensive is a big plus for me…especially since the wife has to be onboard. I like the ease of maintenance and simplicity. I don’t think I’ve seen them come as a package with the brake levers….guess I have to get those separate. Thanks again

"kyle8181" wrote

I don’t think I’ve seen them come as a package with the brake levers….guess I have to get those separate.

Unless there is something wrong with the brake levers you have you should be able to use the levers already on the bike.

also depends on how you ride.

hydraulics have more stopping power, if you need it. mechanicals work just fine otherwise.

keep in mind, there is a reason why most bikes use hydraulic brakes.

Mechanicals are great for the price and will work well for intermediate riding. But, when it is time to start replacing factory parts with the tools you need for the trail then it is probably time to step up to hydraulic brakes. I have used both mechs and hydras in the past and for where I live in western CO hydras are the only way to go. My personal preference is the Formula 24k not to heavy and reasonably priced. Get as much info as you can then go with what works for you. Best of luck!

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.