Any rider in the Frederick md area?

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I’m 49 and getting back into riding after a "long" break. Would like to find some people to tag along on some easy rides at first. People that wouldn’t mind me walkin up a lot of hills at first until I get my lungs back. Anyone know of some easy trails for me to get started on?

Not sure what your skill level is and I only know of Gambril and the Watershed in Frederick area. They are pretty technical trails and prolly not the best to start back up on. I do know of some decent trails down the road where I live in Germantown. Schaeffer, SRT, and Seneca Greenway trail are pretty nice trails for the beginner or intermediate level. Go to the mountain bike trails section of the this website and you should find what your looking for.

Thank you sir ! Yes, that is good advice.
      There are some Germantown trails about 20 minutes away and my old favorite, the Mckeldin area of Patapsco, is about 30 minutes away.
      I’ll cut my teeth on those first before I try to tackle Gambril and the Watershed. I’ve been hiking the Gambriil area just to try to get a feel for the trails, they look like they will be fun.
      Thanks again ! Ride hard !

If Germantown isn’t too far away, I’d highly suggest any of the multitude of trails there.

Schaeffer Farms is a great network that you can easily put some miles on. The EX2 Race Loop is almost 10 miles in length (not marked, but references are available online), but you can easily spend a couple hours there riding around and getting some good miles in.

Or take the Seneca Ridge Trail connector off the White Loop at Schaeffer. Seneca Ridge is 3.6’ish miles long and a good out-and-back trail. Again, nothing too hard, but a good challenge. I haven’t been there in a while, and hopefully I’ll get back out before the weather gets too cold.

Seneca Creek Greenway Trail is a nice bit of singletrack with lots of options for parking and riding. Full length is almost 7 miles one way, but there are plenty of options for shorter routes.

Lake Needwood Trails are wide and comfortable, but there are some challenging hills available too. A great beginner’s spot, with some options for singletrack with Parilla Path Loop and Gude Trail.

I haven’t ridden Black Rock Trails yet, but the reviews here make it sound pretty good.

There are a good number of challenging yet very fun to ride trails in the Montgomery County area. If you see a red subaru forester with a singletracks sticker on the rear window, you may bump into me out on the trails.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.