alternative adventures in mountain biking

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

Hey everyone,i want to put a question to everyone’s imaginations and see what turns up.I’ve got a little loop i do from my neighborhood,and it involves riding up to the rail road tracks and following them for several miles and then either following the rr tracks back or cutting straight back through town,neighborhoods,bike paths,or whatever might be on the way.Of course this is only an alternative for when the singletracks are too muddy or snowed in.Makes me really curious though,what have ya’all come up with for alternative riding adventures to supplement your riding experiences on mountain bikes?hmmmmmmmmmm.

When the trails are muddy or the conditions just aren’t right for MB, then my next choice would be to hit the local skatepark on my BMX bike. I started with park riding and street too, so i guess really the mountain bike has just become something else i pedal around. lol. maybe i need to get a road bike next just to cover all my basis.

hmm, the only thing that stops me from taking my normal course would be snow. rain + leaves = slippery fun for me. but as for alternate routes i’ll go down the road a bit, cut through the park, go down a slope that has cement stairs, glide around through the waterfront, continue back on the bike path for a couple miles, and then up through the forest that will eventually take me up a couple blocks from my apartment.

Downtown is full of obstacles and challenges.I’ve found a rock garden under a bridge that is nothing to sneeze at.It’s gonna take a few trial and error attempts to clear this one.It was not put into place to be a part of a trail and is about 35 feet long and the rock’s are pretty big and jagged.Found some stair cases that are really good to grab granny gear and do some climbing conditioning.Another stair case was really steep and short stepped and sent me over the handlebars from the top which was about 50 feet from the bottom.long ways down.(no I didnt tumble all the way down,it was just a pretty intimidating view when going over the handlebars from the top of the stair case.)Another cool thing is to turn on the pedal power and give it all you got jamming around downtown and hitting all the obstacles you can find,and following cars and trying to keep up with them.I find it a pretty darn good workout and conditioning for mountain biking.There’s alot to explore downtown with everything so close together and so much diversity of the structure of downtown.Of course following cars around in traffic can be pretty dangerous so that’s why I go downtown on sunday evening or night when there’s not alot of traffic or people to run into and you can pretty much ride where you want without slowing down.

There’s a little conservation up the road from me which is mostly crushed rock and hard packed soil, so it’s always rideable, even during heavy rains. That’s the fallback if I just NEED a fix. 😀

"steve32300" wrote

Downtown is full of obstacles and challenges..

The person who got me into MTB was almost arrested for riding around downtown denver. The cop was in a super bad mood and was yelling at them as he and his friends rode away. Funny at the time but be careful ;) 😆

There’s a little bit of single track that go’s around lake arbor and the dirt jumps right here in the neighborhood at 80th.& harlen in arvada colorado.It’s like a micro open space with a dirt jump park that has some pretty good technical challenges for being right in my backyard here.I can litterally ride there faster than I can drive up to it.There’s also a bit of single track that drop’s down into the dirt jumps from the fire house and S’s it’s way into the dirt jumps,nice and flowing and downhill so you can get going as fast as you want to.Not a huge place,but like I said,for being right here in the neighborhood it sure is nice to have.Also there is a good portion of feild that is kinda rough to ride through and makes for good short burst power runs that pretty much act like baby head’s all the way through.Gotta watch for hole’s in the ground in some place’s on the account the bmx dude’s dig up dirt to make jump’s out of and leave hole’s in the ground that can be hazardous.No different than the technical stuff at the big trails,but they do suprise you if your not watching for them.

Ah, very nice. I thought you meant you were playing on the stairs by the 16th St mall or something… haha

Yeah,I’ve heard alot of storie’s of people being busted downtown on the mall so I steer clear of 16th.I’ve a got a brand new night rider solmate light now so I’m more likely to head up to a trail more so than downtown.But if my leg’s are trashed from alot of climbing I’ll still go downtown somtimes and get some good higher rpm’s out of my legs so they dont feel like there stuck doing the same thing all the time.I’m a clydesdale rider and havent quite got the spinning thing down pat for climbing yet,although yesterday felt like I gained some good ground on it.The heat bug’s me so the cooler night air is much easier for me.

I go to the local "Y" and take a Spinning class tice a week with my wife. She doesn’t ride so it is a chance for me to spin the legs and spend a work out with her.

Is there anyone that has ever went creek riding or go to ride man made spill way rock gardens??I went creek riding a couple of year’s ago because we used to do it when we were kids on our bmx bike’s.Of course I did this with my old marin steel frame and not my new aluminum sj.We were riding coaltin trail up in superior and the trail crosses the creek at a point,so instead of crossing the creek I turned into the creek and started riding it upstream.Probably not the kind of riding today’s rider’s would appreciate but sometime’s I like to relive my childhood memory’s in real time.At one point the water was at waist level with tree limbs hanging in the water.Actually make’s for a hard ride because it’s harder than it looks to ride upstream because you have to keep pedaling to stay upright and ride against the current and all the unexpected obstacles on the creek bed you cant see coming at you.And you will get an audience somtime’s too because people going by on the trail just cant figure out what the hell is going on and why you are in the creek.hahahahaha.
      There is a man made spill way rock garden up at stanley lake here in arvada colorado that I spent a little time in because the trail’s around the lake are pretty flat and I like technical stuff.So just off the trail at one point I get into the rock garden and try to ride as much as possible,although I havent made this section all the way across yet,I hope to someday because it is truely a challenge.I might add that it can be hard on wheel’s,tires,and brake rotors.I got a beater bike I can use for this with cheap stuff on it so it’s not a fortune to replace broken and abused parts.
      Got to be careful of where you put a foot down because there are craggs and crevices everywhere where you can get your feet stuck in as well as a wheel once in awhile.It’s a little extreme,but somtime’s I need to make sure I’m challenging myself to ride where I know I’m still pushing myself to stay on top of my game to the best of my abillities.
      I know these arent trail’s with name’s to em,although it is deffinatly off road riding and I only do it when I need a new fish story to tell.hahahahaah

I can put together ~ 20 miles inside the city limits on trails like these. Nothing too tech, other than a few stumps, low branches and "keeping it between the lines" at speed but it’s fun when the higher trails are too crowded on the weekends or once the snow starts flying.

This is interesting to me.
      Two alternatives that I enjoy are:
      the skateboard park down the street (ramps etc…) and going dowtown at night to find stairs, ramps, curbs and all the other fun stuff that my single speed road bike can’t handle.

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.