A Reasonable View on Strava

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

It seems like lately, Strava is the cycling website that everyone loves to hate. I’ve ready so many polarized diatribes on this cyclist social media network lately, that it’s extremely refreshing to read a balanced view:

http://www.bike198.com/strava-how-to-ki … mon-sense/

C’mon people, just use some common sense!

I completely agree. I use Strava to keep track of my progress and mine alone. I use it as a training tool and enjoy some of the challenges they offer. I do not care who is KOM, (although some of the guys I ride with hold quite a few) I care about riding. I do enjoy seeing that I am climbing the ladder on certain segments but am not fixated on the top spot. I just like to see that I am progressing. And as to the guys that I ride with that hole quite a few KOMs, they are just really fast and strong riders. They are members of local single speed teams that race and win many local races!

Great read. Refreshing to see there is are other sane Strava users out there. Just this week I read an argument over a local group’s facebook page about how one guy "cheated" another guy’s KOM because he got a rolling start up a gravel climb and the segment was intended to be a holeshot practice segment for an upcoming race. REALLY PEOPLE!? 😆

I’m not even a fan of the 45 second segements that Strava is full of. I have made all of my own segments that are full loops of trails that I like to ride. Most of them are at least a few miles long and a couple are around 10 to 12 mile segments. I dont really worry about how fast I can make one single climb in a trail of miltiple miles!

Strava: I remeber when i would ride for KOM but usually it was only me and my wife at our LBT. Luckily i never had an issue to where i brought negativity to any other riders from it.

However, from Texas, I recently moved to Boulder, Co and I looked at my KOM’s and noticed one had gotten taken by 1 second lol. I smiled because I was happy someone got the enjoyment from it.. " haha i got you Cris Casto, even though i dont know who you are!" Im sure something like this was said. lol

I saw this after i finished yesterdays ride (st paddy’s day) at Walker Ranch Loop in Boulder which epicly towered over any Texas ride ive done to date and I finished 4th to last 4th to last. I was just happy I made it back to the trail head.

My wife joined ST today! @alannaridesbikes . mucho excited.

We’ll work together to document these Boulder trails.

I wish they would consider how many times Strava got someone out of trouble. Like it did my wife and I yesterday for direction.

Anyways, Its 5:30 here. Off to ride.

Cris Casto

I am with the rest of you that don’t compete for the KOM, etc, but it is interesting to see how I compare. It gives you a bit of an idea how you stack up against the other riders. Some people just get too competitive!

Hopefully in effort to draw attention away from competing against others, Strava has just instituted the ability for paying members to put "GOALS" for segments (as long as the overall grade is > -.25%). Which means I can see what I’ve ridden so far, and tell myself that I want to drop 1.5 minutes off that time by the end of this season. While it is great setting PRs on segments, knowing I have set goals for this season might get me to train harder.

For instance, I’m planning on riding in the 6 Hours of Rosaryville next year, doing the 3 hour solo race. I have a LONG way to go, and lots of awesome long trails in the area to train on. I’ll be setting goals for the overall pace I’ll need for Rosaryville along those longer segments and working to meet and beat them.

It is a fun tool. A shame people have pervaded it to the level it is at.

I like the sound of that goals option. That sounds like a more useful tool than seeing how you stack up against others. Don’t get me wrong, it is nice to be able to compare yourself against others, but I have no idea who DickXYZ is, and how he managed to get up that climb so fast! 😆

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.