A Little Advice Please…

Tagged: ,

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

Ok. Like I had said in a previous post I am new to mtb. I have an OLD specalized I was lucky enough to to get for free from a cousin. But is time for some new wheels. I have it narrowed down to a few choices. Unfortunately cash flow is a factor with work being so slow here in Michigan. I have rode the Cannondale F7 which I LOVE. But I have also Ridden the Trek 3900 disc which I also like. Being that both of these are entry level hardtails and I will get an upgrade in a couple seasons anyways am I really better off spend the extra cash and getting the F7? Or would the Trek suit my XC and trail needs just as well? Thanks for any and all input or advice!

For a beginning XC bike, I don’t think you will go wrong with either of these. Componentry and geometry is very comparable and the frames are sturdy on both. Unless you really like something specific about the Cannondale, I’d probably just tell you to save the bucks for parts, gear, or another bike later on down the line. Either one of these could be upgraded later on for performance reasons if you got attached to it. But in both cases it would probably just be cheaper to go out and buy a whole new bike.

yeah the only concern i really had wasthe shock on the canndale felt alot better. Being new to the game i have no idea if or how much of that can be solved by adjustmets.

i have that Trek, and first of all the warranty is awesome, for the first year if anything goes wrong my LBS has thrown on brand new parts and Trek paid the bill.

im not sure what shock is on the cannondale, but i do know that recently there was an article somewhere about Trek and cannondale having the same company make the forks for their lower end bikes…not sure if that applies to these models or not.

i can tell you that if you get the Trek you will have a solid bike, the only real bad thing about it is the brakes, but you can grab BB7’s off of JensonUSA for under $100 [url:2xvanavp]http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/BR291C01-Avid+Bb7+Mechanical+Disc+Brake+09.aspx[/url:2xvanavp]

im biased but i say go trek!

i ride a trek 3900 disc, HARD. it’s a great bike and takes a serious beating.

Hey thanks for the input guys. Sounds like for the money the trek cant be beat. I am gonna go check out and ride the Jamis trail X3 in the morning and finally make a decision. Cant wait to get the new wheels and get out and ride! 😃

JDH

I rode a 2003 Cannondale F3 for about 5 years before upgrading to a Cannondale Prophet FS bike, I loved that hardtail and man was it fast. Never rode the F7 but the warranty with Cannondale is one of the best out there and the reviews I’ve read on the F7 can’t be beat!

Hey all thanks again for the advice. I hit up another LBS today and rode the Jamis X trail 3.0 and loved it. Great breaks compared to the trek. It also had the Gila RST fork similar to the one on the Cannondale F7. And since I found an 09 model, so I picked it up for $375. Couldnt have purchased a better bike for my needs in my opinion. Just got back from my first ride 😛

JDH

Congratulations! And enjoy!

nice! now the fun starts.

Congrats!

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.