A few Beginer Questions. Kinda embarrasing lol

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

so I have been out riding 4 times now and have a few questions that I am sure are very basic and stupid.

1. while under heavy braking conditions going down hill my rear disc makes a really weird noise, not grinding, almost like a moaning. What is this and is it normal or can i do something differently to prevent it?

2. How often do you wash your bike / oil the change? Also what do you use to wash your bike, any special soap or just take it to a car wash and spray it off? What type of oil do you use on your chain?

3. Is it better to stand up or sit down while going downhill? I recently learned (from this site 😃 ) that it is better to sit while climbing, but what about going downhill?

THANK YOU to anyone who answers one or all of these questions!!! 😃 😃

to answer about the moaning that may be a dirty rotor (oil, grease ect.) but don’t qoute me on that. maybe some of the other guys can help with that. but washing the bike i just use a soapy rag and i keep a good coat of wax on it. for my chain i clean every two to three rides but it really depends on the length and conditions of rides and i use pedros heavy lube really helps with keeping dirt off the chain. and i am always standing going down hill i just feel more in control.oh yea don’t forget to let r rip

"marinejonny19" wrote

so I have been out riding 4 times now and have a few questions that I am sure are very basic and stupid.

1. while under heavy braking conditions going down hill my rear disc makes a really weird noise, not grinding, almost like a moaning. What is this and is it normal or can i do something differently to prevent it?

It could be normal or it could be the pads need to be aligned. Search on the site as there are instructions for aligning the brake pads.

2. How often do you wash your bike / oil the change? Also what do you use to wash your bike, any special soap or just take it to a car wash and spray it off? What type of oil do you use on your chain?

I wash mine whenever the mood strikes me. I use the same method I do the car: hose and some mild soap. As for the chain, choose an oil specific to your climate, for example where I live is dry and dusty, so I use a different product than someone who rides in wet, muddy conditions. The chain will start to get a little noisy when it needs oiling. Eventually you’ll know how long that takes and be able to instinctively oil it before it gets to that point.

3. Is it better to stand up or sit down while going downhill? I recently learned (from this site 😃 ) that it is better to sit while climbing, but what about going downhill?

Check this out, it will answer all your descending questions
      http://betterride.net/blog/2011/how-to- … mment-1920

like i said about your other post these guys won’t steer you wrong. nice informational post maddslacker, like i said "the learning channel" and don’t forget to let r rip!!

"maddslacker" wrote

I wash mine whenever the mood strikes me. I use the same method I do the car: hose and some mild soap. The chain will start to get a little noisy when it needs oiling. Eventually you’ll know how long that takes and be able to instinctively oil it before it gets to that point.

This.
      Your fork need some maintenance too. Wipe the dust/mud on upper legs away with a splash of fork oil. Stay away from the pressure washer, bc it kills your bearings

Nice! Thanks for all the help guys!!

"marinejonny19" wrote

THANK YOU to anyone who answers one or all of these questions!!! 😃 😃

#1 I have that same problem from time to time I use regular rubbing alcohol wipe down the rotor and noise gone. It happens
      #2 for me it’s kinda like madd said when the mood strikes, although if I happen to ride in the snow or wet condition that get the bike muddy then I will lightly hose it down.
      #3 Sitting down gives ME better control and it is easier to bal out if needed… 😆

oops I meant standing up not sitting down..sorry

Washing – Same as most, when I get around to it, or feel like it. I usually at least wipe the fork down to keep the dirt from getting in.

Hills – I always stand with a forward lean, you get more power and can use your body to help move the bike if there is a root or rock you need to get over / around. Same for down hills, I always stand for the same reason, you can move the bike and change your balance depending on the trail, lean left, right or slow or go rip, you also want your balance back a bit.

Regarding hills, I think it depends on the trail. When I lived in Massachusetts, I pretty much always stood up on the pedals for power, balance, and agility. Most of the trails I rode had frequent small ups and downs with lots of roots and rocks, so standing up was extremely helpful on most of the uphills. In fact, I only used my seat when I was riding at low speeds on flat terrain. When I moved to Colorado a few years ago, I found that standing up for a 3 mile long climb at 6,000 ft was impossible, for me at least. Now I sit on uphills most of the time, and usually only stand briefly for technical obstacles, i.e. a large step-up onto a rock or root. It’s just too tiring for me to stand on extended climbs. If I went back to the trails I used to ride back in MA, I’d be standing up a lot more once again.

Now, if you’re looking for advice about what to do in a race, that’s probably different, but this has been my experience as a recreational rider.

edit: I just realized I barely touched on your original question about downhills. Always stand for downhills, it greatly increases your ability to shift your weight for balance and maneuvering, which means you can go faster and still be in control. The book "Mountain Bike" by William Nealy (I think that was his name) has an excellent explanation of this that utilizes a cone showing the possible locations of your center of mass relative to the bike both standing and sitting. The cone is way bigger when you’re standing.

2nd edit: If you have a full suspension bike, this is less of a factor, but if you’re riding a hardtail, standing up also means you can utilize your legs as suspension to absorb bumps, further adding to your control.

I washed my 1998 Trek 920 Singletrack with a hose…. Never again. I washed the lube off the cables and my derailleur stopped working because the cable wasn’t moving. I would hand wipe it down with a damp rag. I’m not saying you have to talk to it and coo at it while your washing it, I’m just saying to avoid problems, don’t hose it.

"JTDavis" wrote

I washed my 1998 Trek 920 Singletrack with a hose…. Never again. I washed the lube off the cables and my derailleur stopped working because the cable wasn’t moving. I would hand wipe it down with a damp rag. I’m not saying you have to talk to it and coo at it while your washing it, I’m just saying to avoid problems, don’t hose it.

I think maybe derailleur cables have improved in the last 13 years…

I wash mine with the hose regularly (and ride in the rain) and have not had that problem.

I don’t mind using a hose on my bike either. I usually just try to keep the spray as low as possible to keep water from seeping into any of those places that you don’t want it. And I ALWAYS lubricate after i spray it off.

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.