69er setup….

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

What are some pros and cons with a 69er setup? I’ve thought about doing it.

Check out the latest issue of Dirt Rag (#161). At the end of the Ventana article, the owner spends a while talking about his personal rig, which is a FS 69er. He really lays out what he sees as the benefits in a logical way… definitely a good read.

I had never given a 69er serious thought before reading that article. Now, though… I’d really like to try one…

There’s a guy that rides a 69er at Blaket’s Creek all the time and his is a singlespeed as well. He is in the Army and is Ranger, Airborn, Special Forces guy so he is an animal but loves the 69er. I thought about doing it to my bike but by the time I do forks, wheels, disc brakes it would be better to just get a 29er as my next bike since the 26er geometry is different. I get through riding and spinning on the flat trail to the car the Army guy flys by and I thought he was singing Put Silver Wings on My Sons Chest. He is a wild man and bunny hops the chain around the parking area. I’d like to ride one and see how it feels but a singlespeed would make me barf a lung. 😄 Later,

I built up a Carver Ti 96er this year. I love it. It is my go to bike.

Hi All,
      I have a 69er and love it. Its the Ventana Chucho based on the old X5 frame. A couple of years back I busted my Saltamontes and replaced it with this ride following a recommendation from Sherwood, the owner of Ventana. Anyway, its my only ride, has 120 mm of travel, and although I’ve never ridden a full 29er, this thing goes over rocks really easily and whips around in the turns. Overall really fun and I don’t have any desire to increase the size of the back wheel. Sherwood described it like riding a motocross bike and I concur. Also with the X5 frame its supremely stiff. However, its lightening fast, like most all-mountain rigs, and there is some bob when climbing. But, with a bunch of practice I can get up almost anything. You should check out the new one on the Ventana website – if I only busted my bike a couple of years later. 😉
      Later

"mtbgreg1" wrote

Check out the latest issue of Dirt Rag (#161). At the end of the Ventana article, the owner spends a while talking about his personal rig, which is a FS 69er. He really lays out what he sees as the benefits in a logical way… definitely a good read.

I had never given a 69er serious thought before reading that article. Now, though… I’d really like to try one…

That was a very good article. I like how he explained why he chose a 69er instead of saying "it’s just better" like a few articles I’ve read regarding the 26 vs 29 debate.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.