Winter Riding

Tagged: 

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author

As the dreaded day approaches (Jan. 1st – closing day for many trails) and our options decrease, where is everyone going to be riding?? What trails stand up to the weather? Any group rides continuing through the winter? Just got a new bike and I want to keep riding as much as possible. Who’s with me??

Move to the Front Range of Colorado! I haven’t missed a day of riding since June 3rd. My brother-in-law and I went out for a 15-mile trail ride in Castle Rock this afternoon and it was sunny and in the 50s. Good trail conditions too, a little moisture in the ground from the last precip. Just enough to keep the dust down! Tomorrow’s weather is supposed to be a carbon copy of today. I hope to be riding again tomorrow afternoon with a few new goodies from under the tree!

Second that for the Denver area. I plan to ride tomorrow. Weather wise I’d go today, but may not be able to get away with it family and holiday-wise 😃

I grew up in north central MA and lived a few years in south western NH before moving to GA. I used to cross country ski and mt bike on groomed snow mobile trails in that area. All legal! They also allowed dog sledding which were really cool to see.

Check out Birch Hill Dam http://www.nae.usace.army.mil/recreati/lcrb/lcrb.htm
      or
      Lake Dennison Recreation Area http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/central/lden.htm
      there are also snowmobile trail maps

"eastwood" wrote

As the dreaded day approaches (Jan. 1st – closing day for many trails) and our options decrease, where is everyone going to be riding?? What trails stand up to the weather? Any group rides continuing through the winter? Just got a new bike and I want to keep riding as much as possible. Who’s with me??

What? They are closing the trails? That’s just…terrible. Someone should do something about that. Seriously though, none of our local trails get closed, except for sloppy conditions and the occasional hunting day at the state park.

I’m with ya! But, I’m in VA, so I doubt we’ll be hooking up for a group ride. So, tell us more about this new bike.

Is it winter?Sure don’t feel like it,upper 40s today,I’m gonna ride tomorrow. 😃

Yeah, it’s nuts that they close the trails during the winter. Totally understand the thaw and rainy times toward March – but we won’t be causing any damage during the snow and freeze days… there is work being done to change the trail closure times, so we’ll keep our fingers crossed. So far haven’t been able to get out on a ride on the new bike – HiFi Deluxe. I’m dying to – but plans got moved around so travel got in the way. And today weather switched up on us and looks like we are in for a blizzard so had to travel back up to Boston earlier than I had originally thought. Hopefully I’ll get a chance to ride Tuesday before we fly out on Wednesday to visit family in WV.

Got the suspension all set up (at least initially) and the computer is going on it today – I’ll likely have all my ride gear laid out and ready to just jump right in by the time the weather lets up and I can get out there. But either way, it’s going to be a fun season on the bike. An extra bonus – my wife is now interested in getting a bike!! SWEET!

I just rode Hidden Mesa with my daughter while my wife and the other daughter ran it.

I wore shorts and a short-sleeve jersey…on Dec 26th!

Ok ok ok, enough of the bragging fellas!!

"maddslacker" wrote

I just rode Hidden Mesa with my daughter while my wife and the other daughter ran it.

I wore shorts and a short-sleeve jersey…on Dec 26th!

Hey, I think I saw you! I think I passed you and your daughter on my way back down the switchbacks. Just about the time the couple walking their donkeys came through? I was wearing a yellow long-sleeve jersey and riding my black/silver/red Trek Fuel EX8.

We only did the loop, not the access trail from Parker Road if that narrows it down…I did see a Trek like that though. (I notice bikes before people…heh)

I was on a white Giant Trance and she rides a light blue Specialized.

Rode Wompatuck today. Plenty of snowmobilers and cross country skiers packing down some nice trails. Was able to start on some sinlgetrack following ski trails, but as temps rose it got pretty soft and made riding not so much fun. Jumped to the East side and was able to fly on the snowmobile trails. Saw a whole new side of the park as I usually stay to the singletrack on the West. Good place to ride through the snow!!

"maddslacker" wrote

We only did the loop, not the access trail from Parker Road if that narrows it down…I did see a Trek like that though. (I notice bikes before people…heh)

I was on a white Giant Trance and she rides a light blue Specialized.

Still might have seen you, but I was definitely thinking of another father-daughter combo I saw down at the bottom of the switchbacks. Do you ride HM often? Maybe we could ride it together sometime.

"eastwood" wrote

Rode Wompatuck today. Plenty of snowmobilers and cross country skiers packing down some nice trails. Was able to start on some sinlgetrack following ski trails, but as temps rose it got pretty soft and made riding not so much fun. Jumped to the East side and was able to fly on the snowmobile trails. Saw a whole new side of the park as I usually stay to the singletrack on the West. Good place to ride through the snow!!

You need one of these for those softer, snowy trails! [url:3r5v4nm7]http://www.chainreactioncycles.us/907.html[/url:3r5v4nm7] I would LOVE to get a custom build on one of these for winter riding. 😎 Not any time soon on a public school teacher’s salary though! 😏

I saw the couple walking there donkeys. I was walking my german shepard!

"propwash" wrote

I saw the couple walking there donkeys. I was walking my german shepard!

That is the third time I have seen the couple with their donkeys. The first time I saw them they were all [i:1i4c9xzx]jogging[/i:1i4c9xzx] and the donkeys had jingle bells on! I asked the couple if they were training the donkeys for a special event; and the wife replied, "No, they just like jogging with us!" 😆

Yeah those winter bikes look awesome!! AK_Dan posted a link to a video, it’s pretty sweet – check it out http://vimeo.com/17994415

"eastwood" wrote

Yeah those winter bikes look awesome!! AK_Dan posted a link to a video, it’s pretty sweet – check it out http://vimeo.com/17994415

Cool video! I was born & raised in Fairbanks, it made me miss home a little bit!

Alpha Cycles in Greenwood Village carries the Pugsley.

Viewing 18 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.