50 and loving 2 wheels….

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Finished celebrating my 50th birthday yesterday by doing the thing I love best – riding singletrack. 😆 I hope to have another 25 or so years of doing this (at least in some form), but we will see how the body holds up. My only regret is that I didn’t start riding earlier (its only my third year). It’s good to see through this forum that there are people out there older than me still riding. I hope to see another larger group of young people coming up who will embrace this great activity / sport / recreation / obsession. Happy trails to all.

Happy Bday. I am getting ready to turn 43 in a few months and right now I am loving this sport also. I do wonder how long I will be able to continue riding on single track sometimes and start to worry about my bike outlasting me but then I hear of people in their seventies still riding. That makes me feel better.

And for my bike outlasting my body. I have already had the bottom bracket go bad on my BLT. I had the Truvativ Stylo with the Giga X Pipe BB and the thing has went out in less than two months. When you crank it under load it grinds. Just The Right Gear shipped one out to me and I will replace it as soon as I get it and drop the bad one off on my way to PA this Sunday.

What build kit did you get with you bike. I have been reading reviews about Truvativ and people seem to like the cranks but not their BB and on the Stylo you have to use their BB. The majority of the reviews for their BB’s say that they don’t last long at all. I will give them one more chance and see what happens. This almost messed my plans up for riding in PA and at Douthat on the way back.

Happy birthday old-timer! 😉 😎
      Don’t worry about getting too old to ride…. more than once I’ve been dropped on an uphill grind by some septagenarian in his sunday-best, while riding a city cruiser. That’s the best kind of motivation there is when I think about getting old. 😀

A majority of bottom brackets that go bad are because of neglect. And by design, internal bearing BBs are more vulnerable to corrosion…. As this is what happened with my Truvativ Gigapipe TeamDH bottom bracket.
      My Nomad doesn’t have any way to drain the bottom bracket of moisture, and the bearings froze up after I was gone to Iraq. After a couple of cold days, I’ve removed the seat tube and dumped out at least a 1/4 cup of water after turning the frame over. I could’ve prevented the failure of my Truvativ BB by more frequent PMCS while I was riding, and drilled some drainholes in the frame.
      External bottom brackets are more exposed to the elements, but due to larger bearings, they hold up a lot better to abuse. They are also easier to access. Unfortunately, they also have a wider Q-factor (stance), which creates more stress on the bearings and legs when pedalling hard.

Is there anyone older than me on this @#$!% site, turned 52 a week before you C.C.R.
      Yeah I rode!

I have come to understand, enough about women to know, I do not know enough about women and understand that this most likely means, I will never know enough about women, which most likely means I know enough about women………………. or don’t ?

So I may have a couple more years Juan Gear? Actually, see the post from Cocnutrhumb. He’s 62 and in his first year of MTB riding. An inspiration for us all. 😆 The biggest problem I have had taking on this sport at an "older’ age has been climbing. I feel I can hold my own on level ground, downhill, and fairly technical stuff. However, my 1st couple of years my riding buddy left me in the dust on the uphills. He got tired of waiting on me, so he pushed me towards a new bike (SC Blur LT) and kicking and screaming into cleats. Both have helped considerably, and the rest is just doing more, longer climbs and trying not to stop as often. Have a 800 foot climb that I try to do after work twice a week. I think it will pay off in time.

If it’s any consolation I am 40 and only started riding four months ago

I`m going to turn 43 next month myself. I rode with a guy a few weeks ago who was 62 and he more than held his own. It looks like if you stay active a person can continue to enjoy this MTBing for a long time to come. When I get to thinking of it, my Grandfather was in his late 70`s and he just kept working (fairly hard manual labor kind of stuff)(he lived to be 93). If the old timers back in the day (before social security) could keep on going, I don`t see why we can`t. We`ll just have to cut down on the crashes!

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.