4" or 5" suspension

Tagged: ,

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Hey guys,

So I’ve been doing some research for a while now on what bike to purchase for next season and am having a hard time deciding between two bikes – Giant Trance X or Giant Anthem X – and would appreciate some advice. I currently own an 09 Giant Rincon and am set on purchasing another, fs Giant.

The real difficulty I’m having in making my decision is the amount of suspension travel that I want/need. As the saying goes, is more better???

A few details about myself, if it helps in the decision making process, are that I’m 6’4" tall and approximately 215 lbs….I’m in good shape and started singletrack riding late this year. I’m really looking forward to riding as much as possible next season (racing and such). (Is it just me, or does this sound more like I’m putting an add on E-Harmony or some other dating website 😆 )

Anyways, I’m looking for some feedback on the difference that anyone might know about or have experience with between 4" and 5" suspension bikes. And maybe some input that will help me make my decision. I know that it ultimately is what feels best, but it would be great to hear what others think before I make my mind up.

Thanks everyone!

I have the older Trance which has 4" of travel. It’s a great bike, but another inch of travel sure would be nice.

In your specific example, the Anthem is an all-out XC racing bike, whereas the Trance is more of a ‘trail’ bike. The amount of travel isn’t the only difference. The Anthem is lighter and has steeper head and seat tube angles. This makes it fast, especially on climbs. The slacker angles and more rearward riding position of the Trance make it a great all around bike that climbs adequately, handles downhill comfortably, and over all is just a great bike to spend a long day riding on.

Not to derail your thought process too much, but given your height, I’d also have a look at the Anthem X 29’er. 😉

Funny thing to add to this thread…….I ended up deciding on neither. I ordered my Giant Reign 2 yesterday. Kind of a stretch from what I was asking about but after a lot of research and speaking with other people I decided to go with the Reign and open up a wider range of riding possibilities.

Now all it has to do is stop snowing here and I’ll be out on the trails…..

Is it spring yet?

That’s par for the course! 😆

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.