1st. ride in Palmer Park, Colorado Springs, CO.

Tagged: ,

Viewing 58 reply threads
  • Author

Did my first rides in Palmer Park on their singletrack trails, wow I can tell it’s been a loooooooooooong time since I’ve done anything but doubletrack trails and roads! 😳 Some of the rock area’s made me a bit chicken although a lot of it has to do with having a dept. store MTB 😮 Still I enjoyed it weither I was riding or hiking, LOL! 😉 Can’t wait till April so I can afford a LBS MTB, with double wall rims and a beefery frame.

One thing that happen was kind cool, I was coming down Kinickinick Trail and had to stop for two deer on the trail, they didn’t budge for a minute or so then took off, a sight in a park that’s actually in the busiest section of the older northend. I’ll be posting some photo’s on my new "Bicycle Page/Blog" http://ondosbicycling.blogspot.com/ this evening. Thanks for letting me share the FUN!

What trail did you ride in palmer lake? I am going to larkspur today to ride spruce mountian.

"alonzojr" wrote

What trail did you ride in palmer lake? I am going to larkspur today to ride spruce mountian.

Fun trail! I have only recently discovered Spruce Moutnain and have ridden it twice in the last month. Took a buddy last weekend and had a blast.

It is 1120 right now, Im getting ready to leave. I park in spruce meadows and ride to spruce mtn and ride both the upper and lower loop.

"alonzojr" wrote

Howdy, the trails were in "Palmer Park", which is located in Colorado Springs in the older, northern end of town. The only trail I’ve ridden in Palmer Lake is the Sante Fe Trail. Sounds like your going to have a good time from what I’ve read about the trails your headed to, ENJOY! 😃

Oh palmer park, the pics look good, maybe next weekend I have to come down and ride.

I moved to Colo Springs last October and just had my one year anniversary. YAY!! I still ride Palmer Park at least once a week. I still haven’t had enough money to buy a full suspension. I still haven’t ridden every trail there but that is what makes Palmer so cool.

Let me impart some advice to you which took me months to learn. There’s about 10 different trail heads. Try each one. Some are impossible (double black diamonds, at least to me) and some are just fire road entrances.

Since you’re just starting out try parking up top in the dog run section. Ride the Yucca Trail from there. Tight, short strips of single track with an occasional dog walker.

Also there’s a great trail that circles the outside of the northwest portion of the park. Try parking near the horse farm.

Also avoid the Edna Mae Bennet and Templeton Gap trails. Hike them first to see why.

Stay strong,
      Gooch

"propwash" wrote

It is 1120 right now, Im getting ready to leave. I park in spruce meadows and ride to spruce mtn and ride both the upper and lower loop.

How was your Spruce Mtn ride? I’m envious; I wish I could have gotten out on the dirt this weekend. Too many things on the "honey-do" list! I also like to park at Spruce Meadows and do both Spruce Mtn. loops. Nice little warm-up from there before the climb up Oak Shortcut.

It was a nice ride. I rode it twice. Did my honey does on sunday, I think was a better day.

1st time riding Templeton Trail – this trail is Great! Very brutal 😮 for a beginner like me ;) but well worth it 😆 . I learned a lot this past Saturday in riding up this trail! There are obstacles/challenges one after the other for miles. I couldnt finish the whole trail because of time. But, one day soon I will. They’re are sections that unless your and advanced rider, you’ll want/have to walk your bike around or over.
      😃

Good to see some other Singletrack Members out riding in Palmer Park! Any of you got a link to a "Good Map" of the trail system?? I only rode 3 trails. I kept hoping I could find the "Guide" that shows beginner trails, I don’t ski so I don’t really know the ratings well. :?:

I found double track, by a set of restrooms but it took me a while to find a "trail sign". I’d like to know what trails I should avoid being a newly returned rider and riding a DSB, (department store bicycle). LOL, I’m sure that I walked up and down stuff most of you just flew up or down but I’d like to avoid "double black diamond" runs till I get a LBS XC bike, hopefully next spring! 😮

Any help you all could give me would be GREATLY Appreciated! 😃

I bought a huge printed map of the MTB trails for $10 at a LBS several years ago, not sure if the maps are still floating around town. The map was created by Sanborn and there’s a link to sanborn.com on the map (not sure if that helps). Anyway, the map is great and overlays the various trails on a satellite pic of the park. Definitely the best map I’ve seen…

Its looking like good weather this weekend, so I think I might try palmer park on sat.

Dude,if we come down from denver,can we ride with ya?

lets ride!!!

I did my first ride palmer park today, and I really like it. 😃

I grew up in the area around Palmer Park (I went to high school at Roy J. Wasson) so I know good and well how Palmer Park rocks. Here is another little know trail, if it still exists because I know how the area has just exploded in growth but here is what I remember. Behind UCCS, on Austin-Bluffs Parkway, there used to be a pretty decent trail system. I even found remenants of a resevoir and a WWII training area! Ask at your favorite bike shop if that trail system still exists, but don’t be surprised if they have never heard of it as it was a well kept secret. If you get creative and do some exploring, you still might be able to get from Palmer Park to UCCS. We used to ride through the drainage tunnel that went underneath the Parkway over to a walkway access that went underneath T-gap road (Union Blvd). I miss living in Colorado Springs…..Say hello to Captain Jacks for me.

"bjjoondo" wrote

Good to see some other Singletrack Members out riding in Palmer Park! Any of you got a link to a "Good Map" of the trail system?? I only rode 3 trails. I kept hoping I could find the "Guide" that shows beginner trails, I don’t ski so I don’t really know the ratings well. :?:

I found double track, by a set of restrooms but it took me a while to find a "trail sign". I’d like to know what trails I should avoid being a newly returned rider and riding a DSB, (department store bicycle). LOL, I’m sure that I walked up and down stuff most of you just flew up or down but I’d like to avoid "double black diamond" runs till I get a LBS XC bike, hopefully next spring! 😮

Any help you all could give me would be GREATLY Appreciated! 😃

A trail map would also be of great benefit to me as I am new to the area and want to check the trails out.

Jason

If you go to almost any privately owned bike shop you can pick up a Colorado Springs Trail Map. It’s got a lot of stuff besides Palmer on there that make for really good rides. I got mine at Boulder Running Company. Also, your best bet may to go to Palmer and park at the Paseo Rd. Parking Area. Its off of N. Circle on the west side near Mark Reyner Stables. For mountain biking stick with blue squares. Green circles are tow paths and black diamonds are pretty intense (at least for me ).

anyone ever wants a riding partner let me know. i LOVE Palmer Park.

"vincimus" wrote

I grew up in the area around Palmer Park (I went to high school at Roy J. Wasson) so I know good and well how Palmer Park rocks. Here is another little know trail, if it still exists because I know how the area has just exploded in growth but here is what I remember. Behind UCCS, on Austin-Bluffs Parkway, there used to be a pretty decent trail system. I even found remenants of a resevoir and a WWII training area! Ask at your favorite bike shop if that trail system still exists, but don’t be surprised if they have never heard of it as it was a well kept secret. If you get creative and do some exploring, you still might be able to get from Palmer Park to UCCS. We used to ride through the drainage tunnel that went underneath the Parkway over to a walkway access that went underneath T-gap road (Union Blvd). I miss living in Colorado Springs…..Say hello to Captain Jacks for me.

thats either the austin bluffs open space or pulpit rock open space that your talking about havent been out there yet but i might go explore it this summer.

"coxcmtbr" wrote

anyone ever wants a riding partner let me know. i LOVE Palmer Park.

im always looking for someone to ride with too so hit me up sometime so we can go ride

for people looking for a map of palmer park go here http://www.springsgov.com/Page.aspx?NavID=1940 it has a list of all the regional parks in colorado springs, thier not the best maps but they will give you an idea of where your at on the trail.

this is going out to coxcmtbr or any one else who rides palmer park, i usally ride solo being that i moved out here from LA a year ago so all my riding buddies are back in LA… any how, it would be cool to get some riding buddies, im also looking to venture out to some of the trails out in the wooland park area and work my way up to do the Monarch trail, only problem is my old bike is out of comission being that it is old with a bent crank, busted front shifter and bent rear rim oh and not to forget that it weighs more than tge spare tire from my truck. i am like two payments away from picking up my new bike which will be like mid to late april………ill be in touch… 😎

Had my first ride in Palmer Park today for about an hour, I hit up a bit of a few trails, Kinnickinnick, Palmer Point and Grandview other than not really knowing where I was going it all seems quite nice, had to walk a couple of times but all in all pretty flowing trails I thought.
      It is nice as it is so close to the house ( I live near the safeway on circle) so can ride up there no problems. The one thing is that after living at sea level for the last 36yrs it takes a lot out of you riding at altitude so I am very slow but still having fun 😀

What type of tyres are people using for this type of terrain?

"sinister.designs" wrote

What type of tyres are people using for this type of terrain?

i like to run a 2.35 Nevegal up front and 2.10 Small Block Eight on the rear im currently running a Excavator up front and i like it but im going to go back to the Nevegal once the tire wears down.

ive got some buddies that like to run Mountain Kings, Crossmarks, Velociraptors, Fire XC and High Rollers, i cant really tell you what tire or tire combo is best to use, but the tires that i listed are the ones that alot of people use out thier at Palmer Park.

OK nice I am using the Nevegals now so probably a good tyre for the area then 😀.

hey everyone, i would like to do a group ride sometime this week or next at Palmer Park if the weather holds out, im not sure on an exact date, but i was thinking sometime between 4-27 and 5-9, if anyones interested let me know so we can try to set a date and time to go ride.

Hey thats the best idea I’ve heard so far. I am available to ride stating next week after work or on the weekend so just let me know the details, i actually have both my bikes in the shop this week and should be ready by friday. According to the doctor i should be able to ride by this saturday (maybe) 😎
      Anyway that would be cool to get together with some singletracks members. keep me posted im almost always on even at work ima junkie….

Yeah! I’m up for something next week; I have to work this weekend 😢 I think/ HOPE the weather will be better next week.

yeah weather wise it supposed to be wet the rest of this week…

i plan on riding sunday morning before the afternoon thunder storms roll in, im not sure on an exact time but if anybody wants to join in on a ride let me know, i plan on doing some tech and some fast and flowy.

also for the group ride, im thinking maybe Wed or Thur next week as those look like the best days weather wise, also mid week is good for not running into hikers and equestrians, im also trying to figure out a time to meet up thats good for everyones schedule.

im trying to figure out a good route to take thru Palmer Park as its a maze and im not sure on everyones skill levels i want to include a part of Templeton into the route but im not sure, or maybe we can just wing it and see what everone is up for trying.

im up for next week and the sunday run also, ive done a few trails some i dont know the name of because like you said its a maze, but anyhow i think you got the right idea if we can get a good size group and just see which way the wind blows. i havent done the templeton trail but ive hike bout 85-90% of it so i know what to expect….
      hope some more riders can come out and play…

i’m down. let me know when

im going to go ride Palmer tomorrow (Sunday 5-2) @ 9am i plan to ride for a few hours probably till noon, since the The Weather Channel says the storms are going to roll in around 2pm. so if anybody wants to join me in on a ride ill be at the trailhead off of Austin Bluffs and Brenner, ill chill there till about 9:20am, so if your a little late ill hopefully not miss you. hope some of you can come out for a ride.

I should be there at 9….

Did my first ride of the season sunday May 3rd and man let me tell you it whooped my ass 😎
      Endoed once wreck 2x but non the less had a blast. I met up with trailrider247 and I must say it helps to ride with guys or gals that ride better then you do cause it does help improve your skill level. Riding with trailrider i was able to hit some techy stuff that I might have thought 2x about and it really helped boost up the confidence level. Big ups to trailrider for riding with me and giving me little tutorials 😃 Hopefully the weather starts acting right so we all can enjoy some riding…

Wish I had of seen this as I did ride Sunday morning up there, I may have even seen you guys who knows. I mainly rode the "blue" trails with a couple of "blacks" but I find them a bit harder to due to they seem to be more oneway trails as it seems harder to ride up them.

"BUDDAH" wrote

Did my first ride of the season sunday May 3rd and man let me tell you it whooped my ass 😎
      Endoed once wreck 2x but non the less had a blast. I met up with trailrider247 and I must say it helps to ride with guys or gals that ride better then you do cause it does help improve your skill level. Riding with trailrider i was able to hit some techy stuff that I might have thought 2x about and it really helped boost up the confidence level. Big ups to trailrider for riding with me and giving me little tutorials 😃 Hopefully the weather starts acting right so we all can enjoy some riding…

glad i could help, that one spill you took on Edna Mae Bennet was kinda crazy and im glad you didnt get hurt, as it could have been way worse. but im always happy to help someone become a better rider, im not saying im the best, but im glad to share the knowledge that i have obtained over the last 5 years that ive been riding and im always looking for better riders than me so i can learn new things too, but sunday was a blast untill the crazy storm came in and dumped some snow.

"sinister.designs" wrote

Wish I had of seen this as I did ride Sunday morning up there, I may have even seen you guys who knows. I mainly rode the "blue" trails with a couple of "blacks" but I find them a bit harder to due to they seem to be more oneway trails as it seems harder to ride up them.

i think i did see you when i was waiting at austin bluffs and brenner to see if anyone would show up, i saw someone with a white Force try to go up templeton and then turn around and go a different direction, that might have been you but who knows. hopefully we can try to meet up some time this week and ride, i plan to ride tomorrow(tuesday) and wednesday not sure on a time but if you want to ride let me know and we can meet up.

Yeap that sounds like you did see me then, Yeah I went up and down a few trails trying to see what trails are like etc as I have only ridden a few times at Palmer Park ( only lived in springs for 3 months)I like nice flowing single track and alot of the blacks are far from flowing so I end up just giving them a miss. I have stuff to do both Tues and Wed but I may be able to sneak a ride in so will see. Normally I don’t have a car but am taking the wife to work tues & wed so may be able to.

Sounds like a great day! bummed I missed it 😢
      Did you guys get caught in the weather? I was on Powers/ N carefree when that snow storm rolled in and thought of you guys!

We were riding when it started coming down ever so slowly and then kinda just faded away. Then once we were done and chillin’ down on the Paseo entrance to the park it started coming down harder and just my luck we get set to roll out and I had a pinch flat 😢 So I patched up the tire filled it with air but it didn’t hold cause it had another hole so Trailrider gave me one of his tubes and we got on our way. Sucked riding home in the slush but it was all good… 😀

pinch flat AND snow!?
      LOL sounded like a good time anyway!

anyone up for a ride tomorrow??

what time did you have in mind?

how about 4?

I dont get out till 5 but this week is slow so i can be off by 4 but it takes me bout 50 min. to ride home but i live literally 2.5 blocks from palmer park. so maybe 5…

We can meet up with you at 5 somewhere but I need to leave at about 5:30.

i plan to be thier at 4 to ride with Steven_Ned, but BUDDAH if you want to meet up at 5 or 5:30 ill stick around and ride with you.

I am going to try and ride around 3 also so if you see me out there say hi. I will have a green and white fox shirt on and riding a white GT force.

nevermind trailrider i got your pm so ill hit you up when i get out there, hope to meet up with some of the other guys as well….

looking forward to it!

Was good to meet you guys, I had a fun ride and hope we can do it again sometime.

Had a great time, in spite of my bone headed falls!

wish i could have made it out there today but work got crazy busy torwards the end of the day so i was stuck. maybe this weekend we can hook up,,,,,,,,,

here’s my little scratch from the last time i rode palmer with trailrider…

So is there any takers for riding palmer park tommorro from bout noon on up? Forecast looks good(key word looks) lol, hope to see some of you guys out there… 😎

Heading up to palmer now will most likely do a palmer point loop hope the rain stays away 😀I will have my green fox shirt on if anyone sees me say hi.

Hitting up Palmer Park tommorro at 6am till bout 8 or 9 if anyone is intrested, be riding my black GT avy wearing green shorts and grey shirt… 😄 😄 😄

"BUDDAH" wrote

Hitting up Palmer Park tommorro at 6am till bout 8 or 9 if anyone is intrested, be riding my black GT avy wearing green shorts and grey shirt… 😄 😄 😄

man thats super early, im down to ride tomorrow, ill meet you by the dog park.

Viewing 58 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.