Chain

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

I have about 1200 miles on my mtb. Do I need a new chain? Is there a difference between mtb and road bike chains?

There’s no way anyone can tell you definitively if you need a new chain at a certain number of miles. You need to invest in a chain stretch gauge if you want to know for sure.

I can tell you this: waiting too long to replace your chain will sign you up for a new cassette and chain rings as well, so keep on top of your chain wear.

bring it into your lbs and see if you need it, they have chain checker tool!

It really depends on your riding type. if you do the "oh shit" gear shift your chain and chain rings will need replacement sooner.

1200 miles is a lot, I’m willing to be that your chain will need to be replaced soon!

Yes, Exchange your chain a new one.

Probably

With 1200 miles on it, if you do replace it be sure to replace the cassette as well. Otherwise, you are most likely going to have slippage with the new chain.

I’m fixing up an old clunker bike I removed the chain to clean and such…..

I’ve now put it back together and the chain is near rigid where i detached it. Not sure what happened but I must have bent it or something. has this happened to anyone before? if so did you fix it. now i’m going to need to buy a new chain 😕 😕

Its just at stiff link where you reattached it. Bend it back and forth slightly to loosen the links back up and you should be good. You will be applying pressure to the sides of the chain links to loosen the stiff links rather than to the top and bottom where it normally pivots on the rollers while it wraps around your cassette.

cool! I guess well see once i get my new chain ring and crank!!! thanks for the info!

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.