Brakes???

Tagged: ,

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

I’m contemplating a brake job. It’s an older Trek 4300. As far as I know the brakes are about 7 yrs old.
      Bike is not compatible for discs in rear. Forks are.
      I have a list of parts for conversion to disc. Including rear disc brake adapter.
      Not sure wich way to go, v-brake or disc
      If I just upgrade v-brakes and levers what would you guys recommend?

I would save up toward a newer bike. For around $1000.00 you can get a modern double disc model. By the time you do the brakes and new front wheel you’ll have spent around 1/2 the cost of the new bike. Keep the old bike for single speed fun. 😄 Later,

It sounds like you are planning to keep the bike, and upgrading the current v-brakes is the way to go. As mentioned, going to disc is overkill for that frame.

Have a look here:
      http://www.jensonusa.com/store/sub/114- … ll++V.aspx

The Shimano XT’s are really nice, and the Avids and Tektros are also decent options.

V-brakes stopped a lot of riders for a lot for years before disc showed up. Installing a good quality set of them on your vintage frame will be a nice upgrade that won’t [i:2mofvzcw]brake[/i:2mofvzcw] the bank. ;)

Also, if your current levers are not broken, and if you like them, there is no need to switch them if you stay with V-brakes. Just install the new brakes with some fresh cables and you’re done.

I would stay with V-breaks on that bike. Dunno if you have hydraulic V-breaks like the Magura HS 11/33 at the US

What kind of MTBing are you planning on doing? If you were to buy a Shimano XT, even just for the fork, you will be spending more money on it than your bike is worth. I agree that spending some money on a better bike is the best idea. Even for 1,000 to 1,500 you can get a good quality hardtail. If you can’t put out that kind of money up front most LBS have same as cash, 12 months to pay, zero interest, so you can pay a bit at a time. Just my opinion.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.