Reply To: Oldest Mountain bikers

Last winter we spent October through February biking out west. (Home is NH). I’m writing about my husband who will be 80 next month. I’m 77. We could only ride every other day and only when the temperature would stay below 70•. That’s because my husband has advanced prostate cancer and is on 2 ugly medicines. Both destroy muscle and bone mass, and one has made him heat sensitive. We would only go between 8 and 14 miles depending on the day. Many days he would have to turn back because he just couldn’t do it. Twice he didn’t turn back, pushed it, and came scarily close to heat stroke. Good thing I’m a chicken and carry instant ice packs. And his condition too often made me have to bike alone. That necessitated that I ride only easy trails, or very busy ones.  We live on a long hill here in NH and he didn’t even bike here since he never knew if he would be able to make it home. So I solved the problem which I know will horrify many of you young guys. I bought him an E mtbike. Best thing I ever did. He’s now riding at home because he can get back. He tried his old bike and found he is much stronger. And his doctors are thrilled and urge him to keep pushing it. I’m writing this to you for two reasons. The exercise is keeping him alive and those of you who think you are old at 60 are wusses. I’m a hot ticket at 77.