Re: Why I Uninstalled Strava

Haha, I tell people I am fat, old and slow to avoid much pressure and then when I am faster and better than they thought..I get to look good. I vet who I ride with pretty well though, so I don’t hold up the racerboys or those that would prefer to get KOM’s rather than enjoy the company.

Just because someone is fast or puts on lots of miles does not mean that they automatically know more about the sport. It means they rides lots, that’s it. Everyone brings their own knowledge to the sport, everyone has their own biases, opinions and things they have learned about the sport and just because you have a KOM or two does not mean you are better than the next guy, it just means you are faster.

The funny thing is that since uninstalling strava I find myself missing it…missing the data. I have not been able to ride for a long time, between health and bike issues…so now I when I ride I get this feeling that I want to see how I am doing compared to my old times…ugh.

A ride is more than just data…yes the data is fun, I friggin love some of the things strava is doing with all the data they are collecting, but it’s just numbers.

I think if they added a way to add geotagged photos to your rides, a way to add stories and share more of what the ride actually is they would go to the next level. A way to make your own maps, overlay your rides to complete area maps, be able to edit your rides, name trails and all that…that would be useful.

As I stated I think that for some things Strava is great…but for the most part it’s just data and that’s boring. Make it more fun and let people show off their unique riding areas and link that all to social media it would get even bigger than it is right now.