1. Start at Gate 5. Reset your bike computer/GPS unit.
2. Follow the trail parallel to the fence (going west).
3. At mile .22 you come to a junction with a trail going left (Martinez Spur).
this and continue straight on lower Newt Jack.
4. At mile .71 you come to a trail coming from your right (you can see the
access gate off Coronado Circle to your right) AND a trail going to your left.
left onto this trail (Silk Thread Cutoff).
5. At mile .97 you intersect the Silk Thread Trail. Follow it going to your left.
6. At mile 1.7 there is a trail going to your right (Round Park Trail). Take it.
have just crossed a rocky stream bed and climbed a short hill to the edge of
7. At mile 2.3 you will be passing Round Park pond.
8. At mile 2.6 there is a trail going to your left (PBR East). Take it. (You have
reached the top of a hill.)
9. At mile 2.92 you intersect Lower Brockover Road. Turn left.
10. At mile 3.32 a double-track jeep trail goes to your right (Power Line
this route, following the power line.
11. After about a mile, the double-track dead ends at a canyon. Take a
short jog to the
right (less than 100 yards) and look for a trail descending into the canyon.
this trail down the canyon bottom.
12. At mile 4.43 you break out into a wide meadow. Venture halfway into
and you will intersect a trail (Lower Gopher Trail). Turn left.
13. Lower Gopher Trail will follow the valley bottom for a ways, then goes
left over a
small hill and follows a smaller drainage up and over a flat mesa.
14. At mile 6.15 you will have descended into another drainage area and
winding your way through “The Maze.”
15. At mile 6.75 you arrive at a gate in the fence. Please close it behind
16. At mile 7.02 you intersect another trail (MBT). Turn right onto this trail. It
you to the scenic west rim of Martinez Canyon.
17. At mile 8.32 you will intersect a double track (lower Brockover/Power
18. At mile 8.36 (you haven’t gone very far) you will see a single track going
left across the lower end of a large meadow. Take it.
19. At mile 8.52 you will intersect another trail (you have crossed the lower
end of the
meadow). Turn right onto this trail (Martinez Spur).
20. At mile 8.87 you cross a creek. Follow the trail uphill to the right after
21. At mile 8.96 you will see a trail going to your right (Boy Scout Trail).
Take it. (You
have just reached the mesa after a short climb.)
22. At mile 11.4 you will arrive back at Gate 5.