As we head into the weekend there are a few cool things happening:
Chicago is gunning to host the Olympic Games in 2016 but one problem: Chicagoland is flat as a pancake. Case in point: The original road cycling course was rejected because it was just too easy. Instead, word is the mountain biking event would be held in Blue Mounds, WI near Madison. The Trek company has to be salivating over the prospects…
Downhillers, looking for a free ride to the top? Check out Brundage Mountain Resort in Idaho where they’re offering free lift rides all day on July 2 as part of the summer season opening. The mountain boasts a 4-person high speed lift to the top of the 7,640 foot-summit which I’m sure beats pedaling all the way up Free is a heck of a value too considering that a regular daily pass is $25 (though that’s still a heck of a bargain).
Did you know the National MTB Championships are being held in Colorado for the first time EVER? It’s hard to believe but it’s true. You can catch the action July 16-19 at SolVista Basin Resort which is not too far from Winter Park. While SolVista is one of Colorado’s lesser known resorts, the Granby Mountain Bike Park located on site boasts 10 trails and a pump track. Get more info on the official site.
- MTB News Bits: Chicago Olympic Make-Up Race, Worldwide Bike Registry, and Bike Thrift Shop
- Too good to be true: Free lift-serviced downhill!
- MTB News: 2012 Olympic Course, DH Race Benefits Kids in Africa, and More
- MTB News: Kona Naming Contest, HD Helmet Cam & Downhill Camp
- Mountain bike world championships: Sept 3-9 in Ft. William, Scotland