This Saturday I’ll be heading to Lake Hartwell on the Georgia/South Carolina border to help with the trail work day at Paynes Creek, soon to be SORBA’s newest mountain bike trail. Assuming all goes well and plenty of volunteers show up this weekend, the official grand opening is scheduled for the following weekend, April 29.
This is a great opportunity to volunteer for a number of reasons:
- Helping build new trails is exciting and it’s a chance to preview the course before it’s officially open!
- Trail work days are a great chance to meet other mountain bikers.
- Singletracks is giving away free trail membership certificates ($19.99 value) to EVERYONE who works this Saturday.
- The weather is going to be fantastic and any excuse to spend time outside is a good one.
- There’s a free lunch for the volunteers.
- It’s a good chance to learn trail building techniques from the pros while getting a “hands on” application of best practices.
- Giving back to the trails always feels good and if you ride often it’s the right thing to do. If you’ve never volunteered before, this is your chance!