Rhett Jones is a high school mountain biker living in the Austin, Texas area. He’s the founder of Station Bike Park, a new private park he developed on 150 acres of former ranchland northwest of Austin.
Singletracks first shared Jones’ story in a November feature article; this interview adds more detail and dives into the economic and operational aspects of running a for-profit, private mountain bike park.
- How long have you been riding mountain bikes?
- Tell us about the free bike, public bike park you built in 2022. How did that get started?
- Are there many places to mountain bike in and around Austin, TX? What is the mountain bike scene like in the area? In the state?
- How much money did you raise, and how did you raise it? Were you able to stay on budget?
- Are bike parks good businesses? Were you able to use any successful bike parks as an example?
- How do most bike parks actually make money: tickets, rentals, repairs, or sales?
- Was getting insurance a challenge?
- Is there a benefit to being close to a more established bike park like Spider Mountain Bike Park?
- What are the economics of a fixed lift system? Is the cost feasible for the average bike park?
- What’s your favorite part of owning a bike park?
- What are your plans for the bike park and for yourself in the future?
Find out more at stationmountain.com.
Support this Podcast
- Review the Singletracks podcast on Apple Podcasts for the chance to win a free hat. Or drop your feedback in the comments below!
- Make a donation to help sustain future episodes.
- Become a Singletracks Pro Supporter.
Never Miss an Episode
- Listen on Spotify
- Listen on Apple Podcasts
- Listen on Google Podcasts
- Listen on Stitcher
- Listen on Overcast
- Get the RSS Feed
- View all Podcast Episodes