mountian biking shoes

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • Author

ray

I ride almost every weekend, normally about 12 miles at Oak Mountian State Park. Currently I just wear my converse high tops up there and have lots of trouble with my feet slipping off. I planing on getting some basic mountian biking shoes, but was wondering if these are really just for the most avid riders and racers. And If I shoud get them do any of y’all have any suggestions.

Gotta love the Chuck Taylors but not on a bike. Go with a bike shoe. Are you ready to clip in yet if not there are shoes made for flat’s. Bike shoes vari in stiffness. check some web sites like the Gear area on this site, Performance bike or Cambria.

riding is life all else is waiting

If you do a lot of plain riding, a dedicated MTB shoe still will not steer you wrong. There are a lot of companies now that are making trekking MTB shoes, and they are a lot more versatile than standard XC shoes. Those flashy, bling, plastic SIDI & Adidas clipless shoes you see the pro XC guys wearing are not only expensive, and meant for just that, racing.
      Freeride shoes are a lot better for everyday use, but their sole material is pretty soft, so they’ll wear out fast if you do a lot of pavement pounding in them.
      You’ll never go back to those Converses once you get some decent shoes & clipless pedals.

I’ve got a pair of Diadora clipless MTB shoes that I actually wear while not riding, since they’re super comfortable and look like normal shoes.

And my wife has a pair of Scott MTB shoes that are along the same lines.

Trekking shoes tend to be a lot cheaper than the race or freeride MTB shoes as well.

is the cat looking for something dead 😆

I was going to go for “look what the cat drug in” 😆

oh…. so ya’ll got jokes, eh??? 😃

hey ray, though there are a lot of casual/convertible biking shoes out there i would be cautious about shoes with laces…ive heard of people having problems getting the laces caught in pedals, chainrings, etc. im sure bomber and his wife (and most kindergarteners for that matter) are smarter than me at tying their shoes, but i prefer velcro!

and sounds like you’re doing more endurance xc type stuff than stunts/freeriding so i think clipless is the way to go. over your 12 mile ride, you’ll get much better pedalling efficiency if you’re clipped in… the clipless learning curve may be painful, but worth it. good luck to ya!

"mudhunny" wrote

hey ray, though there are a lot of casual/convertible biking shoes out there i would be cautious about shoes with laces…ive heard of people having problems getting the laces caught in pedals, chainrings, etc. im sure bomber and his wife (and most kindergarteners for that matter) are smarter than me at tying their shoes, but i prefer velcro!

and sounds like you’re doing more endurance xc type stuff than stunts/freeriding so i think clipless is the way to go. over your 12 mile ride, you’ll get much better pedalling efficiency if you’re clipped in… the clipless learning curve may be painful, but worth it. good luck to ya!

Gotta agree on the shoe. We use clips for tecnical rides so the feet don’t slip. Now I freak out if they won’t clip in. Free ride/stunt riding is different. Just pratice around town before heading out. Couple of weeks and you won’t leave home without them

If you’re a little nervous about going to clipless (definately the way to go IMO), a good option is to go with a platform/clipless pedal to start with. Something like the [color=red:1c1ov568]Crank Brothers Mallet C[/color:1c1ov568] which allows you to keep your feet on the pedals if you have to clip out through difficult sections.

If you are going with a regular platform pedal, make sure your shoe is not one of the narrow sole xc shoes, but if you do decide to go with clipless pedals, that doesn’t really matter. Shoes with stiff soles are good for riding with clipless pedals because they allow for much better transfer of power. You won’t believe how much they help you climb. Check out the different online shops, a lot of them offer pedal/shoe combos at good savings.

ray

Do clipless come off easily. I’m no stranger to flying over the handlebars and I don’t really want to be stuck to my bike when it happens. But I figure Im going to get them regardless since you all recommend them. Thanks for all the help.

anything wrong with these http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?cate … &pagename=

or should I go with these fancier ones? http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?cate … &pagename=

Wow, great deal on those shoes! I need to see if they have any in my size! They look fine to me, but I’ve never used 661’s, so can’t say anything about their fit. What is most important is that they are comfortable.

If you crash, you might not come out of your pedals, and it can be a little awkward to unclip. But really, I have never been hurt by my bike in a situation like that. Most pedals have a tension adjustment which regulates how easy you release from your pedals, which will minimalize or negate that problem while you get used to riding clipped in. After a few rides (yes, you’ll be nervous at first!) it becomes second nature to unclip. I don’t even think about it any more, it is just a natural part of riding.

If you want a laugh, my nephew and I both started mountain biking at the same time. He got clipless pedals first, but didn’t have shoes, and I bought shoes with the intention of buying my pedals the next week. Dumbass me, I promptly clip into his pedals (which had the tension set real tight!) and decided to do a wheelie. Of course, I hit it a little to hard, and with my feet firmly attached, I went right over backwards, and bruised my butt and my ego!

I guess I have to post my $.02.

Consider if you plan on walking much in the shoes. If you are then the stiff narrow shoes will be a hassle, otherwise, definitely go for a real biker shoe. I have owned both and although I like the comfy feel of the softer shoe I definitely appreciate the better power transfer when pedaling with a stiff shoe.

Personally, I rarely buy shoes online unless I know they will fit. It isn’t worth it to me to save $30 if the shoes don’t quite fit and I end up sending them back. And if you do go to your LBS to try on shoes then buy them there — don’t be a bum who shops the LBS and then buys online. We need to support the LBS if we want to have the convenience of having them around.

I lean toward the simpler pedals, like Time or Eggbeaters. No adjustments, no lubrication, no cleaning, stupid simple to use.

Yes, clipless pedals have a bit of a learning curve, but it isn’t that big of a deal. Just get used to turning your foot when you want out — it should become reflex.

I admit I have paid for not getting my feet out. One time (after getting brand new Eggbeaters) I was doing a steep climb on a steep mountainside and lost my balance working my way over some rock slabs. Trying to be a man and salvage the situation I didn’t try to bail out till it was too late, and, since the pedals were brand new and I wasn’t used to them yet (they were not like my old, loose, Times) I couldn’t get out till I was way over. I finally whipped my foot out and swung my body uphill enough to land on top of the bike and not go tumbling down the side of the mountain. I broke the top tube of the bike, but didn’t break any bones. (Ka-ching!) 😢 Another time I had a stick flip up into the front spokes and before I could think of anything I was doing the superman dive straight over the front of the bike. My ankle hurt for awhile from yanking the bike over with me, but not near as much as my wrist from jamming the handle bars and then slamming into the ground. But don’t let me discourage you… 😏

I know this post is a bit dated…I just bought some Cannondale shoes from my LBS. They are very comfortable. I made a few adjustments (first set the clip up and I was to far on my toes) and got them to where they are right at the sweet spot on the pedal. I have a Shimano combination platform/clipless.

I went on my first ride with them. I took my twelve year old daughter out (training her for off roading…she’s still a bit nervous about varying terrain…) I fell over twice while trying to get our of those things. I was actually paying more attention to my daughter and forgot I was attatched to the bike the first time. Of course the first time was in front of some strangers…They kind of looked at me like I was “special needs”.

I think my problem seems to be when my foot/pedal is at the bottom of a stoke. I can’t seem to twist out far enough to release.

Anyway, I chickened out for my normal weekend ride. I go alone and over some pretty gnarly terrain. I didn’t want to get wadded up and fall down a ravine attatched to my bike with no one else around. I took the cleats off and put the “plugs” back in. They are still very comfortable. I’ll build up some courage again. I would like to use them and have the same positive results as others…will just take some time and trust…

Losen the tension screws till your feet almost fall off the pedals for a couple of weeks. In no time you will be uncliping as you go over the bars never thinking about it. As time passes you will freak out when not being able to clip in for the Gnaley. Flats are unsafe unless your a ladder riding huckster 😏

Riding is life all else is waiting

Mudhunny and I practiced clipping in and out on some soft grass before we hit the trails with our first pairs of clipless pedals.

Our routine was to pedal a few strokes, come to a complete stop and try to balance the bike in the grass. The game is to stay balanced as long as possible and when you start to fall, try to get out of your pedals. We found this to be a pretty good way to get comfortable plus it helped us work on our bike balance at the same time.

I always tell friends who are considering moving up to clipless pedals that it is perhaps the best upgrade you can make to your bike since it gives you so much more control and efficiency. I liken riding without clipless pedals to skiing without being clipped onto your skis.

I may try some training on grass. I think the tension is as loose as can get. Again, I was pretty good at getting out of them at the top of the pedal stroke, but my foot seems to get “trapped” when at the bottom….

I’ll just have to practice some more. I understand the benefits, just need to work on the confidence that I can get out of them…

Thanks for the good info.

I’m in need of a solid pair of shoes that’ll work well for mountain biking. I also use my bike to get around at school too…so I’m not into the whole clip-in shoe system. I have the toe clips and straps with the flat pedals. I recently picked up a pair of Merrell hiking shoes to hike with, and decided to use them for my biking too, but they seem to be too wide and knobby so they present difficulty getting in and out of the pedal straps. Could anyone give me some specific shoes that work well/are actually meant for mountain biking with the clips and straps? All I can ever find on the internet gear stores are the ones for the clip-in pedals. Please help, thanks a lot

Niceblog and good article over tracks and mountain.. Sport shoes must be there in such condition… Nice website. I have also seen good products on http://www.dealsbrick.com

Look into some proper pedals that are designed to grip your foot and keep it on…!

Oh yeah, good idea, so focused on this being about shoes didn’t think to mention pedals.. I use these and they grip pretty well on most shoes.. Matter of fact, last week hit a rock that shoved my pedal forward and it pulled my shoe off my foot.

I agree with bikerboy that it might be a problem in pedals. I can ride my Zu-Zu pedals with dress shoes on and it won’t slip (never actually tried it but to give you an idea how grippy those pedals are). I wear a pair of waterproof trail running shoes when riding flats. That way my feet are always dry and warm no matter what weather throws at you.

Never tried a dedicated cycling flat shoes like 5.10. Most people say you will never look back once try it. Maaybe worth to check it out.

Sure clipless are more secure way and provide other benefits but good flat pedals combined with any decent shoes will be much cheaper then good clipless pedals and shoes.

If you are looking in to clipless, I recommend the giro chambers, either the high top or the regular. I have the high tops, and they have wonderful support for when hitting the downhills, and when you get into rock gardens etc. they hold up wonderfully. These also look nice as well, are leather, and clean up really nice. You should look into them.

i use spd clips and have 3 different pairs of shoes

Specialized Defroster – keeps my feet warm and dry in the winter – have been a really boon over this winter. they are quite bulky though. https://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/117599

Shimano Mt34 – absolute cracking pair of spd shoes – very much like a comfortable trainer but with the added bonus of being light and breathable. took these on trip to Peru last year – very durable riding shoes. http://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-SH-MT34-SPD-MTB-Shoes 

Shimano XM7 – these are my hiking / riding shoes – so if I’m going to be going up a mountain and doing some hiking as well, then these are the perfect choice  – alway carry the spd covers and then they are also waterproof. Vibram soles for excellent traction. http://www.shimano-lifestylegear.com/gl/fw/products/tour/016sh_xm7.php

Once you go clipless you never go back 🙂

OK the link to the pedals I use didn’t show up on my last post.. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/shimano-saint-mx80-flat-pedals/rp-prod82557

Viewing 24 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.