March Trail Contest: Official Forum Thread

Viewing 116 reply threads
  • Author

Contest starts today, March 14, 20011! Grand prize is a mountain bike trip for two to BC from Sacred Rides (airfare/transportation not included) to the top trail content contributor through midnight March 31, 2011. Other prizes include a Garmin GPS, a HuckNRoll gift card, and singletracks memberships.

Full contest details and leaderboard can be found here. Please note:

– There are contribution limits placed on certain types of content (photos, videos, reviews).
      – Zero tolerance for copyright violations. If you copy content from another website and submit it to singletracks, you will be disqualified from the contest.
      – All content will be moderated, either before it’s posted or afterward.

We’re stoked to find out about your local trails!

Are bloggers going to be allowed to enter :?: Not expecting it, just curious. Don’t want to get my hopes too high, haha!

Sounds like it’ll be a fun contest, can’t wait to hear the details…

YES – everyone is eligible! Except myself and mudhunny of course. 😀

Could I maybe suggest a rule for the contest? Since I can see where this is heading, could one of the rules be that if you post a trail review that you also need to post a picture from the trail just to prove that you were actually there?

Just a suggestion, and maybe it’s already been thought of…just wanted to throw my 2 cents out there. 😉

Well, I’m out. 😢 There’s only 1 trail here and even then, I don’t have a camera to take with me.

"Dorado" wrote

Well, I’m out. 😢 There’s only 1 trail here and even then, I don’t have a camera to take with me.

You’ve got a cell phone, right? I’m sure that’d work!

And hey, half the fun of mountain biking is traveling to explore new trails!

"trek7k" wrote

YES – everyone is eligible! Except myself and mudhunny of course. 😀

Oh really? Now I’m [i:z9163uxf]officially [/i:z9163uxf]excited! 😄

Oh yes bring it on!!!

First I want to say hello, I am new to mtb, coming over from motocross. This should be fun, I travel for a living and will be able to hit four different states and get payed to be there. I am looking foward to riding and getting better and late this year do a few races. I am starting on a Trek 820, I will be upgrading the forks and few other things. Next year maybe a new bike. I am glad I found this site and read everyday.
      😃

"towrmonkey" wrote

First I want to say hello, I am new to mtb, coming over from motocross. This should be fun, I travel for a living and will be able to hit four different states and get payed to be there. I am looking foward to riding and getting better and late this year do a few races. I am starting on a Trek 820, I will be upgrading the forks and few other things. Next year maybe a new bike. I am glad I found this site and read everyday.
      😃

You wont regret getting into mountain biking, it is awesome…If you have plans on buying a new bike next year then why not forget about your upgades and take the plunge for a new bike now. You wont regret that either… 😉

This sounds cool! How exactly do we participate in this contest?

"rubiksnoob" wrote

This sounds cool! How exactly do we participate in this contest?

I think he said details are coming on the 15th

Ahh. . gotcha. My bad, man.

No problem dude

I like the picture for review to count rule idea. And maybe have your ride in the photo so you don’t just google the trail for a photo….

Dang goo,you got a lot of trails racked already,how far and how much are you gonna have to travel???Or I wonder for the sake of the contest,can you reride what you’ve already submitted???Didn’t sound like it but for somone who has already submitted a crap load of trail,seems to me those people are gonna have to do a good bit of traveliong to reach unsubmitted trails???

"dozzerboy" wrote

I like the picture for review to count rule idea. And maybe have your ride in the photo so you don’t just google the trail for a photo….

*cough*Photoshop… 😼

"dozzerboy" wrote

What if people were honest about which trails they did and did not ride? Does honesty count for anything anymore?

I wish… But people ain’t what they used to be. (Kinda funny coming from a teenager huh? 😆 )

"dozzerboy" wrote

And maybe have your ride in the photo so you don’t just google the trail for a photo….

The only prob I forsee with that is that for someone like me who rides alone 99% of the time I dont have anyone to take a pic of me let alone say "hey can you get one of me in action"… 😆 😆

"steve32300" wrote

Dang goo,you got a lot of trails racked already,how far and how much are you gonna have to travel???Or I wonder for the sake of the contest,can you reride what you’ve already submitted???Didn’t sound like it but for somone who has already submitted a crap load of trail,seems to me those people are gonna have to do a good bit of traveliong to reach unsubmitted trails???

I doubt the contest can JUST be about adding new trails, because the database is pretty extensive. There aren’t really very many trails out there to add anymore.

I’m hoping the criteria will be something that I can work with.

Also, I’m planning a little MTB getaway here over spring break, and I’ll definitely be riding some new (to me) singletrack!

"BUDDAH" wrote

[quote="dozzerboy":3rwmby41]And maybe have your ride in the photo so you don’t just google the trail for a photo….

The only prob I forsee with that is that for someone like me who rides alone 99% of the time I dont have anyone to take a pic of me let alone say "hey can you get one of me in action"… 😆 😆[/quote:3rwmby41]

+1 to that

"dozzerboy" wrote

I wish… But people ain’t what they used to be. (Kinda funny coming from a teenager huh? 😆 )

Very true

Someone is going to have to show mw hpw to upload photos to these threads and maybe gps data also

"Johneblz" wrote

Someone is going to have to show mw hpw to upload photos to these threads and maybe gps data also

Perhaps we should start with a spellchecker… 😼

Damn tablet!

If I can post on bathroom breaks,you can post from your tablet,hahahahaha.. 😄

I got a photobucket account where I obviously keep my pics,then pull the IMG. Link from photobucket and past in the Img. After you click to activate from above the post box here on singletracks.let. slacker know if you have any more problems, 😼 hahahahhaahaha.I know madd I know madd,use the google search……….hahahahha

To be helpful to my fellow forum poster, just email me the trail info, pics, stats, etc. and I will post them for you 😉

I upload the pics here to singletracks.

I remember trek7k talking about that. Madd,how do you do it??If you don’t mind tellin…

http://www.singletracks.com/mountain-bike/photos.php

Click the button that says "Add Photo"

"steve32300" wrote

I remember trek7k talking about that. Madd,how do you do it??If you don’t mind tellin…

LOL! 😆

"Adding photos" has been easy enough. It was linking them to the threads that was a problem. I think I have been caught up. Thanks for the help and of course the sarcasm

To link one, click ‘Img’ button at the top when you’re making a new post.

Between the resulting tags, paste the link to a photo, any photo, that has a web address.

Thx. Madd

SWEET! I’m headed to California Tuesday for a business trip and will have every afternoon off. My bike is already reserved and I’ll be riding a bunch of new trails. Perfect timing!

Your gonna give trail/trip reports aren’t you????? 😃

"joetutt" wrote

SWEET! I’m headed to California Tuesday for a business trip and will have every afternoon off. My bike is already reserved and I’ll be riding a bunch of new trails. Perfect timing!

What part of CA are you headed to? South, North or Central??

"BUDDAH" wrote

[quote="joetutt":392x4u0t]SWEET! I’m headed to California Tuesday for a business trip and will have every afternoon off. My bike is already reserved and I’ll be riding a bunch of new trails. Perfect timing!

What part of CA are you headed to? South, North or Central??[/quote:392x4u0t]

I’ll be in SoCal, Palm Desert to be exact. Planning on hitting Goat Trails and Hurly Creek for sure. Also looking at Santa Rosa Mtns. I’ll be checking with LBS for some suggestions to. Can’t wait!

"steve32300" wrote

Your gonna give trail/trip reports aren’t you????? 😃

I’m hoping my flight back to Orlando has wi-fi so I can get on my new iPad 2 an upload all my reviews and what not! That will definitely make the flight better. I probably won’t have time to report while I’m there since I’ll be working in the mornings till about 11:30 with some receptions and other bullshit to attend the in late evenings. Of course I’ll be riding all afternoon to evening. We’ll see how it goes.

"trek7k" wrote

We’re polishing off the old contest leaderboard in anticipation of a BIG trail contest launching on Monday, March 15 and this will be the official forum thread.

We can’t give much away yet but let’s just say you may want to hold off on adding trail reviews, photos, videos, and GPS data until early next week. Even better – hit the trails this weekend and get a head start collecting trail info!

I [i:31zi2whu]really[/i:31zi2whu] want to hear the details of the contest today, but since it’s the 14th I’m hoping that you’re sticking with a Monday announcement!

Contest is on! Original post updated on page 1.

"trek7k" wrote

Contest is on! Original post updated on page 1.

trek7k – I clicked the link and see the leader board, but no rules displayed when I viewed.

Do the videos have to be your own or can you submit anyone’s links?

I clicked the link and see the leader board, but no rules displayed when I viewed.

That’s weird – there’s nothing fancy going on there. Hit refresh and see if that helps. What browser are you using – IE6? 😀

"joetutt" wrote

Do the videos have to be your own or can you submit anyone’s links?

The video links do not have to be your own. Since all the videos are hosted on other sites (YouTube, Vimeo, etc.) we can’t verify ownership anyway plus we’re just embedding them and not actually storing them on our servers.

Yes, IE6. I just tried again, refreshing several times. I can now see "How to Enter" and "Add a Trail", but nothing else. It might be the filter at work for some reason. I’ll try from home.

Yep, that’ll do it. Sorry, I don’t have access to IE6 for testing/debugging purposes.

Hey trek, so standard content submission guidelines apply, and points will be counted as normal for all of those categories?

And BTW, this may be the best contest EVER! IMO, this is an even better price than the frameset!

edit: Just looked through the info on the leaderboard page, and that looks like it answers my questions above, but it sparks another one:

If, say, I’ve submitted 20 photos for a specific trail before the contest start, can I submit another 20 NEW photos for that same trail for 20 contest points?

I’m assuming there’s going to be some sort photo number submission limit per trail. Yes/No?

"GoldenGoose" wrote

I’m assuming there’s going to be some sort photo number submission limit per trail. Yes/No?

Yes, 20. That info is listed on the leader board page.

And now we know that goldengoose didn’t bother to read the rules… 😆

Reading details is not one of my finer points… 😳

Goo, didn’t you post a while ago that you had something like 46,526,523,645,763 pics to sort and upload?

It’s now a race for second…

"maddslacker" wrote

Goo, didn’t you post a while ago that you had something like 46,526,523,645,763 pics to sort and upload?

that takes the fun out of it….

"maddslacker" wrote

I don’t want to give anything away, but I’ve been so busy over the past like year with blogging that I haven’t really been able to upload photos like I used to. However, I’ve been taking pictures like normal and filing them away for future uploading.

I’m not dropping any numbers, but I have a good bit in reserve… Only 20 per trail count, though.

Well with Goo and Goose in the contest it is a race for third…too bad there arnt more finalists then 1st-3rd. Those guys are nuts with the trail photos…Congrats

Don’t give up! Free stickers for anyone who gets a point PLUS there will be more prizes announced next week. While I can’t tell you what the prizes are or how to earn them yet – suffice it to say everyone should try to earn as many points as they can. Isn’t that how life works anyway? 😀

True true Trek7k, thanks for returning balance to the world again…haha we will keep on trucking.

Nah, I already loaded the 3 photos I had not yet added beofre the contest. Besides, there are so many other items worth 3-10 points that photos are almost a waste of time. I hate sorting through 100 boring photos of the trailbed from each trail anyways. Give me something cool to look at or lets move on.

I uploaded a GPS file from a sweet free app on my cell phone Endomondo…it is still pending it says but it isnt the whole trail…partial, I will submit more when I ride there again. The particular trail is not marked at all so I am pumped to track some loops in that place.

Hmmmm, to three partial tracks = a whole track and 15 points? 😼

"kvnrbrts" wrote

Well with Goo and Goose in the contest it is a race for third…too bad there arnt more finalists then 1st-3rd. Those guys are nuts with the trail photos…Congrats

It’s not over until it’s over, haha! Its actually been a long while since I’ve won one of these contests…

Breaker, breaker! Joetutt here reporting from Palm Desert, California! Ridin’ four new trails this week…I’m coming to get you Goo! That is if this Florida boy can continue to handle these California mountains! Ouch these things are kickin’ my arse! So far so good though! Two down two to go and a SDcard full of points 😆 😆 😆

"joetutt" wrote

Breaker, breaker! Joetutt here reporting from Palm Desert, California! Ridin’ four new trails this week…I’m coming to get you Goo! That is if this Florida boy can continue to handle these California mountains! Ouch these things are kickin’ my arse! So far so good though! Two down two to go and a SDcard full of points 😆 😆 😆

Dang, and I was just going to start relaxing!

maddslacker may or may not have uploaded a bunch of GPS tracks… 😆

Just sent 23 GPS tracks off to the mapmaker yesterday which means there are AT LEAST 230 points up in the air – not to mention all the pending videos. It’s definitely anyone’s game!

The last contest came down to who could add the most new gear items; so far this contest seems to be more well rounded. Not sure if it will come down to photos, videos, GPS data, or what… Either way we’re excited to see who comes out on top!

"maddslacker" wrote

maddslacker may or may not have uploaded a bunch of GPS tracks… 😆

Uh Oh……..

A couple notes:

– Post photos/videos of trails within a trail system to the appropriate trail page; do not post them to the system listing page as well. If you don’t know what this means don’t worry about it – the point is each photo/video should only be posted in one place.

– While completely within the rules of the contest, PLEASE don’t break up a 5 minute video into ten 30-second segments just to earn the points. It’s lame and it wastes your time and ours (not to mention everyone who watches your short, choppy videos).

I was just wondering if the currently pending video submissions are going to be confirmed before the weekend gets here, just so we all know where we’re at in the contest?

Not likely – there are a lot in there at the moment. Why, you holdin’ back on your contributions? 😀

"trek7k" wrote

Not likely – there are a lot in there at the moment. Why, you holdin’ back on your contributions? 😀

Well there’s a lot I have to do yet, its just a matter of finding the time…

Mainly, I’m just curious. I’ve got a lot of videos pending, but I’m not really sure how many!

Whats up with the adding pictures feature? i keep trying to put new pictures in but they arent going into the trail album?

"theUfan" wrote

Whats up with the adding pictures feature? i keep trying to put new pictures in but they arent going into the trail album?

I posted a question about that too over in the site feedback forum

I also noticed that the videos display in a little gallery now, so I suspect some forum upgrades are afoot.

"maddslacker" wrote

I also noticed that the videos display in a little gallery now, so I suspect some forum upgrades are afoot.

I saw that feature, I think it looks really cool!

Oops thanks guys – should be fixed now. You’ll need to upload your images again since they weren’t assigned to the proper trails.

"trek7k" wrote

Oops thanks guys – should be fixed now. You’ll need to upload your images again since they weren’t assigned to the proper trails.

Hey man, its working a little better, but still not like it used to. Now, if you go to a trail with photos already, an upload will work. But, if it’s a new trail with no photos, the tag still won’t pop up. But, if you enter the correct code manually, it will post to the trail’s photo gallery:

Also, photos will only successfully post to the gallery if you upload from the gallery page:

If you try to upload from another image from the same trail, it automatically inputs the correct tag, but for some reason the thumbnail will not show up on the main gallery page:

I added 3 photos to Spruce Mountain Upper Loop and all three show in my photo album, properly tagged, but only one shows on the Trail Photo Album, and I was awarded 1 point in the contest.

"maddslacker" wrote

I added 3 photos to Spruce Mountain Upper Loop and all three show in my photo album, properly tagged, but only one shows on the Trail Photo Album, and I was awarded 1 point in the contest.

See above, lol

I did, after I posted… 😳

Ok, thanks guys – those items should be fixed now. As you can tell we’ve made some changes to the albums (both photo and video) so that:

1. Albums aggregate TRAIL photos/videos on trail SYSTEM album pages. This should eliminate the need for duplicate photos/videos (and we’ll be removing as many dupes as we can – help us out by deleting pics if you notice some of your photos are dupes).
      2. Tags aren’t as important (once all the bugs are worked out you won’t need to worry about photo tags to link photos to trails – it will all happen behind the scenes)
      3. You can view a gallery of videos instead of wading through endless links to find the good stuff.
      4. Photo album pages load faster and show more photos at once.

So let us know if any other bugs pop up.

On an unrelated note: with just a few days left in the contest we’re offering free singletracks t-shirts to everyone who gets 50 points or more in the contest AND doesn’t win another prize!

"trek7k" wrote

Ok, thanks guys – those items should be fixed now. As you can tell we’ve made some changes to the albums (both photo and video) so that:

1. Albums aggregate TRAIL photos/videos on trail SYSTEM album pages. This should eliminate the need for duplicate photos/videos (and we’ll be removing as many dupes as we can – help us out by deleting pics if you notice some of your photos are dupes).
      2. Tags aren’t as important (once all the bugs are worked out you won’t need to worry about photo tags to link photos to trails – it will all happen behind the scenes)
      3. You can view a gallery of videos instead of wading through endless links to find the good stuff.
      4. Photo album pages load faster and show more photos at once.

So let us know if any other bugs pop up.

On an unrelated note: with just a few days left in the contest we’re offering free singletracks t-shirts to everyone who gets 50 points or more in the contest AND doesn’t win another prize!

Thanks for the update!

Woa, that could be a lot of t-shirts!

Just a reminder: there is a max # of points you can receive for adding trail videos (10 videos per trail = 20 points). Not that we don’t love adding all the new trail vids. 😀

No matter whoever wins this thing I just wanted to say what a great experience this has been. I’ve gotten to know places like San Felasco and Santos like the back of my hand. I’ve also had a blast documenting all the local trails around town. But…I will be a happy man if I never have to look at another YouTube video again…

"trek7k" wrote

Just a reminder: there is a max # of points you can receive for adding trail videos (10 videos per trail = 20 points). Not that we don’t love adding all the new trail vids. 😀

I’ve been adding extras! Figured since I’m finding more I may as well put them on. Plus, some trails have some pretty sweet videos.

Same here.

Me too. While I’m at it, figured I’d add some extras. Plus, the points go towards our overall totals regardless

"Goo" wrote

Me too. While I’m at it, figured I’d add some extras. Plus, the points go towards our overall totals regardless

…and are precluded from going to someone else’s contest total… 😼

Anyone else noticing that trails are listed twice and sometimes three times?

I see that too…I thought it was my computer

"joetutt" wrote

Anyone else noticing that trails are listed twice and sometimes three times?

Listed where? State pages? Contribution lists?

I have not noticed that.

I have not noticed it either. However I did post some pics onto the "Big Rock" loop at FATS and they appear in that albulm and the FATS albulm.

I’ll be adding some more loop specific pics for the other 5 loops. Figured it would be more helpful to riders coming from afar instead of just adding a bunch to the main FATS albulm.

Where do I find how many points I have accumulated? don’t worry i am not close to the 4 digit mark.

Ok, looks like there was a problem with the "best trails" page but it’s fixed now. Apparently the update script was taking too long (so many trails!) and wasn’t able to clear the old list after adding the new ranks.

"brianW" wrote

I have not noticed it either. However I did post some pics onto the "Big Rock" loop at FATS and they appear in that albulm and the FATS albulm.

I’ll be adding some more loop specific pics for the other 5 loops. Figured it would be more helpful to riders coming from afar instead of just adding a bunch to the main FATS albulm.

Right, that’s new. Trail photos are visible on both the trail album and the system album for places like FATS. This way there’s no need to post photos in more than one spot.

Contest leaderboard is here:
      http://www.singletracks.com/mountain-bi … -15-11.php

Goo, I’ll buy that Garmin off ya so you can finance your own consolation trip to BC. 😉

"maddslacker" wrote

Goo, I’ll buy that Garmin off ya so you can finance your own consolation trip to BC. 😉

Haha that’s ok, I think I’m keeping it! (That’s assuming I hold onto second place… joetutt is right on my heels!

looked around on an old computer fo additional trail pic. Sadly I am missing all my pics and other files. However some of these pics I have on FaceBook. Is there a way to upload these to singletracks? Most of these I will not get any more points but feel they are worth sharing.

"brianW" wrote

looked around on an old computer fo additional trail pic. Sadly I am missing all my pics and other files. However some of these pics I have on FaceBook. Is there a way to upload these to singletracks? Most of these I will not get any more points but feel they are worth sharing.

I don’t know if there’s a simpler way or not, but I’d personally just download them off of facebook to your harddrive and then upload to singletracks.

"Goo" wrote

[quote="brianW":3hb33d2t]looked around on an old computer fo additional trail pic. Sadly I am missing all my pics and other files. However some of these pics I have on FaceBook. Is there a way to upload these to singletracks? Most of these I will not get any more points but feel they are worth sharing.

I don’t know if there’s a simpler way or not, but I’d personally just download them off of facebook to your harddrive and then upload to singletracks.[/quote:3hb33d2t]

Second that. And I would do it today 😃

Question: Does the contest run all the way up until midnight tonight?

Yes, though I’m not sure what time zone (better just assume EDT to be sure). 😀

Looks like I have locked in 4th…large for the t-shirt. please. 😆

"trek7k" wrote

Yes, though I’m not sure what time zone (better just assume EDT to be sure). 😀

Alright, sounds like a plan!

Would ya just throw in the towel already Goo, I need me a GPS damn it! 😆 😆

That just makes him go faster, I tried it the last contest…

"maddslacker" wrote

Looks like I have locked in 4th…large for the t-shirt. please. 😆

dont get to confident…I may be in 96th place, but im not out of this yet! 😆

Can’t wait to hear what the final results are!

I think the leader board will remain the same. I added 20 more pics last night after my ride and didn’t have it in me to add any more vid links.

So what do think Goo, $100.00 Huck N Roll card for the GPS? Hun , Hun? Going once…twice…

"joetutt" wrote

I think the leader board will remain the same. I added 20 more pics last night after my ride and didn’t have it in me to add any more vid links.

So what do think Goo, $100.00 Huck N Roll card for the GPS? Hun , Hun? Going once…twice…

Sweet, good to know! I think I’ve got like a couple hundred videos that are still pending…

And sorry dude, if I win the GPS, I’m keeping it! 😛 😄

EDIT: No, I’m NOT sorry! You just won a freaking Black Diamond frameset… I don’t want to hear any complaints from you!

"Goo" wrote

[quote="joetutt":bsvl27kr]I think the leader board will remain the same. I added 20 more pics last night after my ride and didn’t have it in me to add any more vid links.

Sweet, good to know! I think I’ve got like a couple hundred videos that are still pending…

And sorry dude, if I win the GPS, I’m keeping it! 😛 😄

EDIT: No, I’m NOT sorry! You just won a freaking Black Diamond frameset… I don’t want to hear any complaints from you![/quote:bsvl27kr]

Oh good, cause I still have about 350 vids pending, maybe I got 2nd after all! 😆 No I’m kidding. 😆 No, I’m stoked to get the H&R gift card man, super stoked! I’ve been wanting a helmet cam, so there’s 100 bucks off right there. I still can’t decide which one though.

My Sortie build is just about done too. In fact, I should be riding that bad boy tomorrow, can’t wait. I’ll post pics soon.

I will now have a Singletracks t-shirt for every day of the week. 😃

I’m dying here 😃 …who won this thing?

"maddslacker" wrote

I will now have a Singletracks t-shirt for every day of the week. 😃

I’ve only got one and its starting to look pretty worn…. I really need another (if not 2 or 3 more!)

"theUfan" wrote

I’m dying here 😃 …who won this thing?

I know, let’s get some results!!

I bet Jeff has a lot of stuff to wade through, though.

Thanks to everyone who participated! Hopefully we’ll have the final results on Monday – still lots of videos and maps to moderate PLUS we haven’t even looked at the 400+ reviews and 1000+ photos posted.

"trek7k" wrote

Thanks to everyone who participated! Hopefully we’ll have the final results on Monday – still lots of videos and maps to moderate PLUS we haven’t even looked at the 400+ reviews and 1000+ photos posted.

WOW! Have fun with that! 😄

Trek7K, grab a beer (or 3) and happy modding!

to help trek7k out, I will step up and say call me the winner! 😆 😆

Viewing 116 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.