Reply To: Parts are breaking down – upgrade or replace bike?

Thanks a lot guys, this is really useful! One of the unexpected things – now I know how to search for more and more answers – "clydesdale"!!! Just searching for the right word and can see lots of useful discussions – bikes, parts, techniques, everything. And I like those images on Google : ) … will spend a few more days (nights?) reading the info. Will look into the parts you’ve suggested here.

For now, I’m planning to keep using my current bike for a while to improve a) balance, b) mechanical skills : ))) Will take the fork apart and put it back together – if a bike shop can do it in 1 hour, I hope to do it in 6 (the cheapest MZ fork cannot be too complicated?). Also need to fix the chain that I broke on my last ride. In fact, I learned that not having a chain when going downhill (slower of course : ) tends to teach balance.

The biggest worry is that if the fork goes belly up, I may get some serious 215lb-over-the-handle type of experience, and a good helmet may not be enough then…

And yes, it looks like a new bike is in order… Financially, I guess I could warm up to the idea of parting with ~$1,500 in 4 or 6 months. It’s just hard to think that a $600 bike was only good for 1 year.