Reply To: enduro vs "all mountain" – what is the Intense Carbine?

That’s really close to where i was going.  Interesting to me is that the latest Carbine is just not reviewed . The 2018 is … but classed as enduro, i suppose because its suspension travel is more than 140mm.  So  nobody notices that it can be an all mountain bike.    But its travel is short for an enduro suggesting its intentions are more all mountain and less “full on enduro”.

The only comparison i found is a 2018 carbine  to the hightower LT  in which the author classed the carbine  as a point and shoot monster truck .  Which is weird to me because (in XL) the carbine is shorter (wheelbase) than the XXL Hightower.  In fact the geometry  numbers are all very close to todays Hightower.

Three  things I want to know

1. With 10% more travel than todays hightower, the catbune is pegged as a Monster truck but the Hightower LT was not.   Why? Both are fundamentally vpp.  Hightower is pegged as a trail bike that can keep up with the enduro crowd.  But with a Shorter wheelbase and 10% longer travel the carbine should be known as a trail shredder that can roll over chunk 10% better. Why isnt it?

2.  Seat tube angle bugs me…. on the carbine.  Seems it places the rider further back (compared to hightower) which would reinforce the enduro classification.  they must have a good reason;   i don’t see it yet

3.  Bottom line for me is does the XL carbine pedal and climb well and is it just as maneuverable as a XXL hightower ?   I don’t really want a point and shoot bike but on the other hand …compared to a short travel pop and playful bike maybe i do!

Ive got a local shop that will build a carbine  for a lot less than the Hightower, whos retail channel and retail price is very well protected.