Reply To: e*thirteen 9-46 Cassette Stuff

I used the TRS Race cassette and have a few thoughts on it. I chose it on a previous bike to get more a bit lower range than the 42T Sram cassette. Staying 11 speed appealed to me because I could use the same shifter/mech while saving some weight over eagle. I get that eagle works but I find 11 speed to be more robust.

My first reactions were that shifting into lower gears required more precise timing than a sram cassette. Get it wrong and the chain grinds into a misshift. I rode with another rider that had the same cassette and same experience regarding shifting. I didn’t mind it enough to not use it. Indeed I kinda liked it and intended to use it on my current build.

However, the 9T cog isn’t compatible with my new frame. In the 9T, the chain would bind against the seatstay. So I have to use a sram cassette. Currently I’m using a GX 11 cassette but ideally I’d run an XX1 11 cassette with a 46T wolftooth cog. That would combine the better shifting of a sram cassette with the low end of the TRS race.

Another compelling product that I haven’t yet tried is a wolftooth 49T cog that can be added to an NX 11 cassette.