Reply To: What's your sense: Are MTBs more or less expensive today?

I’m not expert and I’d say my knowledge of mtn biking is beginnermediate. From my point of view and experience mtn bike prices in like this now. Thew are retail prices not pinkbike, craigslist and website deals or used bike sales.

$1000 or less – The bike is advertised as a mtn bike but the components cannot handle heavy impacts. If you ride on heavily rooted rocky or chunky trails you’ll run into problems you won’t have on higher end bikes. Shifting mishaps, chains dropping off and slapping the frame, headset cracking or failing altogether, shocks that struggle to keep up with trail conditions. Mainly because most of the lower end ones are simple coils with no adjustment.

What’s funny is above this price range the bikes come without pedals. You’d think the more you pay the more you’d get with your bike.

$2000-$3000 – decent bikes, that handle most riding conditions except for extreme downhill, red bull video type stuff. The bikes can handle decent jumps and landings and the components can last years with decent care. Many of the shocks don’t come with some of the finer features that the higher end bikes have (lockout, several travel settings, no dropper post, heavy frame) but the bikes are great for their intended use.

$3000-$4000 – Bikes that can handle most riding conditions. Dropper post usually included adjustable shocks for changing geometry and different travel settings. Adjustable components that will wear out over time with heavy riding.

$5000 and up – These bikes have all the bells and whistles and the latest buzz words for the time. (Knuckle Box Suspension, quick click shifting, etc) The funny part about this prices range is all though the components are high quality some of the durability is debatable. Many high-end components wear out even earlier than the lower end counterparts. The advantage of the higher end part is weight or some specific function it provides.  What this price range does have are bikes you’d never have to upgrade or touch a thing on it and it would be keeping up with the jones for years. An example is the Santa Cruz 5010.