Reply To: Mountain bike financing: Good idea or bad idea?

I’d only reccomend it if you have the cash already set aside. I mean at 0% interest, granted you’ll only make a few cents in interest, holding on to you’re own money longer and using someone else’s for free is always a good idea to me. Again as long as you already have the money set aside otherwise forget it. Then if an emergency were to happen you would have some extra money beyond your emergency fund if you have one.

Noting on Jeff’s insurance comments, we wanted to schedule our bikes because we race and have expensive bikes, both my wife and I so we have like 10 higher (not top of line) bicycles. We found with our regular homeowners policy it would cost us an extra $1600/yr to schedule about 10% of value. And I know pretty well if someone is going to break in and steal a bike they aren’t just taking one and my regular deductible is $2500 so every 1.5years I could buy a new bike for the cost of scheduling vs paying the deductible. And if bikes are stolen more than that then we’re just really unlucky. We keep them inside the vehicle locked when were not on them and in the basement so typically out of site out of mind. I would consider scheduling if I lived somewhere sketchy.