Re: Rockshok recon silver freeplay

Quality control on forks and shocks is shit. Especially fox and rockshox. I have never bought a new fork, from either company, that had the correct amount of oil. First thing I do with a new fork is to perform general maintenance and add the correct amount of oil.

My lbs, who has competition DH riders working for them, performs this maintenance on every new bikes shock/fork they sell. I had them install new brakes on the last new fork I bought (not from them, unbeatable sale online) and the first thing they said was "I know this sounds weird, but we recommend we perform the general maintenance on your fork even though it’s new. The majority of new forks/shocks do not have the right amount if oil and sometimes internal seals and other parts are not install properly." I let him know I had already performed this my self before bringing the fork in, and he replied, "I guess this is not your first replacement fork huh?"

Kinda makes you wonder why forks are so expensive and where the money goes cause it’s not going to quality control. Actually, I know where it goes, the marketing department.

Hope your bushings aren’t shot or other internals damaged cause chances are your fork did not have any oil in it from your very first ride.