Re: Do you really need an $8000 MTB?

I have talked to quite a few people about bikes and price levels. What I find odd is that the guy who says nobody needs an $8,000 bike is often riding a cheap entry level bike but drives a $40,000 suv and has an $8,000 entertainment system that gobbles $200 a month in services. Do I need and $8,000 bike? Why hell yes I do. Will I get one tomorrow? No but not so far in the future. I am demoing bikes in that range.

People go into mountain biking with many different reasons and expectations of what they want out of the sport. Those who don’t, often quit soon after starting. For many the thrill is in the terrain itself. The knarlier the better and the bigger their kahuna’s feel. For some its for the social aspect and being outdoors doing something that is fun. For some its the adventure of going to some place new or riding epic trails. For some its about big hits, jumps and stunts. For these folks and $8,000 bike is likely overkill.

There are a few reasons why someone would want and need an $8,000 bike. If biking is you life and you make your income from the sport an $8,000 bike makes sense. Another reason for wanting and needing an $8,000 bike is that you are into the sport for the technical aspects, the zen of exceptional balance, senergy and flow plus all the little neuances of touch and feel regardless of what trail you are on. That is where I am at. The difference between a $2,000 bike and an $8,000 bike can be felt. I would describe the difference as being like getting rid of static on the radio. The right $8,000 bike gives a sense to synergy and feel to how well the various components work together in harmony. The right bike minimizes vibrations and jarring motions (static) and lets the right motions, (feel like your sensory nervous system extends throughout the bike. Even to the point of feeling like you are connected to the ground like your own bare feet) come shinning through. To me that zen is worth an extra $6,000 even on a beginner/intermediate trail.

I am coming to the sport of mountain biking from the perspective of a high level alpine and telemark skier whom is already into flow and zen and could give two hoots as to what terrain or snow condition I am actually on. This is my first year starting in late May as a mountain biker but this will be my 53 year on skis. I want the same zen I get from a big bump run or putting the skis over on high edge. Does the ski equipment exceed $8,000? You betcha it does.

The problem I have with the $8,000 bike is getting the right bike. I think the chances of getting the fit and components that deliver that zen I want with the first buy is probably about zip. I would like to get it down to about three tries. Two to figure out what delivers the zen and the last to purchase the $8k bike. There are many realities and compromises that I have to decide on. I already have a lot of things figured out.

At my age I don’t have years to waste of stupid mistakes. I would like to think I am middle aged but there are not a lot of 114 year old people runing around.