Re: MTBing in the heat…

Here in South GA some days we’ve gotten up to 115 degrees. I’ve actually taken my water bottle and marked off 5 oz increments and have my fluid intake a bit more dialed in. I used to just drink what I thought I needed and after doing this I found out I wasn’t drinking enough. In hot weather it’s recomended a fluid intake of 4-6 oz’s every 15 minutes. This amount can actually go up a bit depending upon how hot it is. I stop every 15 minutes and take in 5 oz’s of fluid. My water bottle is 25 oz’s so I have a ride time of a little over an hour. I also keep a constant state of hydration. I also stopped riding with water and started drinking electrolyte drinks and that made a bid difference for me too. I also consume a sports drink / electrolyte drink 60 minutes before biking and then about 8oz’s of water about 15 minutes before starting my ride. With this hydration routine I have for myself I stay hydrated throughout my ride and my body thanks me for it 😃

*I hate riding with camel backs unless on a long ride with no loops to refill fluids
* Don’t forget about hydration after your ride- very important to keep replacing what you’ve lost