Re: Clipless or Flats?

I ride clipless and have ever since my first year riding back in 2005. I climb much better with the clipless then flats. Also I don’t have to worry about my feet slipping off of the pedals. The other day I took a test ride on a friends bike with flats and I did not realize how dependant I was on the clipless. I know people have their opinions and as someone posted above it is a hot topic but it is all a matter of preference. When I am out riding I would never judge anyone’s skills or dedication to the sport based on their equipment. I was actually listening to some jerks in a bike store mocking a felllow rider (behind his back) because he had a rather nice Santa Cruz Nikel with flats. Anyway maybe I can post a question. I have old Shimano M505’s and they have been reliable. The don’t make M505’s anymore but make M520’s which start at $55.00. What is the difference between just say the M520’s and the newer Shimano models that cost $100.00 and up? Is it just weight? When I get my new bike I will need a new set.