Doug Blease is a mountain biker and environmental researcher based in Scotland. He’s a member of IMBA-EU and has served in active trail planning roles with the Aberdeenshire Trail Association.
In this interview, we ask:
- What does an environmental impact assessment look like when it comes to trail planning?
- How big of a concern is erosion when it comes to bikes, especially compared to other trail users?
- How resilient is nature in terms of the ecosystem? Could there be long-term effects due to trail building if it’s not done properly?
- As individuals, how can we minimize the impact of our rides?
- How can we balance the tension between creating opportunities to enjoy the environment, with protecting it from damage or overuse?
- How would you grade the mountain bike industry’s overall eco footprint?
If you’d like to contact Doug for advice or to ask a question, email email@example.com and we’ll pass your message along. Or, click to learn more about the Aberdeenshire Trail Association and Developing Mountain Biking in Scotland.
Support this Podcast
- Review the Singletracks podcast on Apple Podcasts for the chance to win a free hat. Or drop your feedback in the comments below!
- Make a donation to help sustain future episodes
- Become a Singletracks Pro Supporter