Singletracks just passed a big milestone today when we posted our 500th mountain bike trail map to the site – Fleming Meadows in California. We started the trail map project about 3 years ago when we realized lots of people were starting to ride with GPS units. The maps have come a long way since those early days but we still give you the ability to download the raw GPS data to view in your favorite topo program, load onto your GPS, and even view in Google Earth!
A few highlights from the current MTB trail map catalog:
- Colorado boasts the most trail maps – 121 unique trails mapped! North Carolina is second with 48 unique mountain bike trail maps.
- The longest trail map in the catalog is the Kokopelli trail at 136.48 miles long. The mapped route stretches from Fruita, CO to Moab, UT.
- Singletracks offers nearly 40 free mountain bike trail maps, including 16 trails outside the US from New Zealand to Portugal.
- The trail catalog includes over 400,000 track points and nearly 1,500 waypoints.
- All trail data submissions are hand-edited by singletracks editors and mapped using professional mapping software using a custom template – you won’t find maps like these anywhere else!
If you’re not already a singletracks Trail or PRO subscriber you can earn a free lifetime PRO membership to the site by submitting just 3 new trail maps. Even if you’re new to GPS tracking we can help you understand how to collect and share you data – check out our GPS mountain biking primer today.
Thanks to everyone who has contributed to the mountain bike trail catalog over the years – we couldn’t have done it without you! Next stop: 1,000 mountain bike trail maps by 2010!