Here is a MAJOR release from SRAM: the all new XX1! The XX1 is a new single ring, 11spd drivetrain. Noting that many riders were striving for a simpler, lighter solution for their trail bikes and 29ers, SRAM came up with the new XX1 group. In fact this isn’t the first time SRAM has stuck out their necks–remember the huge push into 2×10 not too long ago?
The new gear carries nothing over from the present XX models. The XX1 group consists of a crank, rear derailleur, shifter / gripshift, chain, and cassette. This set-up definitely addresses the unique needs of many current designs and fits the trend toward lighter, faster, and more reliable shifting systems. And as 29er chainstays get shorter and shorter, fitting a front derailleur in has become more of an issue. Nixing the front derailleur and its associated shifter also frees up that side of the bar for lock out and dropper post controls.
Internally, the use of the clutch from the Type 2 derailleur improves shifting and reduces chain slap (perfect if your bike is carbon). The new cassette also reduces the need for two or three shifts to get your bike in the right gear. Finally, the wide range of chainrings is perfect for both 29er, 26er, and anything in between.
Driven by a cutting-edge, single-ring carbon crank and seamless component integration, the SRAM 1X drivetrain delivers flawless chain management and faster, more precise shifting. But the relationship between XX1 components goes far beyond fitment. From the X-HORIZON™ rear derailleur with TYPE 2 technology to the super wide range 11-speed 10-42T cassette, each component is designed to function synergistically with the others, achieving what no other 1X drivetrain has before.
Available October 2012.
Details From SRAM
Crank / Chainrings
• New tooth profile alternates thickness by inner and outer links, providing maximum chain control
• Carbon arms with forged aluminum spider
• CNC-machined rings (28-30-32-34-36-38)
• New spider design allows for easier ring changes
• Wide/narrow Q factor cranks for BB30 and GXP
• Weight: 650 grams with BB (approx.)
• Large upper pulley offset automatically adjusts chain gap
• Straight parallelogram design with horizontal movement reduces shift force and improves drivetrain performance
• 12T X-SYNC pulley wheels
• TYPE 2 technologies: ROLLER BEARING CLUTCH™ and CAGE LOCK™
• New silent pulley tooth design
• Weight: 220 grams (approx.)
• 11-speeds (10-12-14-16-18-21-24-28-32-36-42)
• Bearing design and ratchet mechanism steadied by XD driver body
• Creates more stable hub connection
• Gear steps optimized across entire range
• Wheels equipped for XD driver body available from SRAM and DT Swiss
• XD driver body is 6-8g lighter
• Weight: 260 grams
• SRAM 1X11 X-ACTUATION™ for precise and dependable 11-speed performance
• Multi-adjustable trigger shifter
• MatchMaker X compatible
• Carbon cover and adjustable carbon pull lever
• Full Gore Ride-On cable system
• SPEED METAL™ shift indexing (grip shifter)
• ROLLING THUNDER™ ball bearing technology (grip shifter)
• JAWS™ lock-on grip technology (grip shifter)
• New 1X11 XX1 specific chain
• Designed for maximum strength and wear resistance
• Proprietary link finish provides improved life span
So looking at the price tag of the new XX1 you will probably see it appearing on the top tier bike firstly and then possibly working it’s way down in an XO and hopefully an X9 in the near future. But for now it fills the need for top racers and cutting-edge riders alike who can appreciate the advantages the 1×11 offers.