Yielding

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author

Whats the accepted practice for yielding to other bikers on a trail?

I know bikes have to yield for people and horses, but if there is a narrow section of single track and there is a bike coming, who should yield?

Does who should yield change if there is a hill involved?

Thanks

The "official" rule is that uphill riders have the right of way.

In practice, whoever can get out of the way the easiest usually does.

Yeah, i usually find that uphill riders stop first because they are moving slower, even though I’m breaking hard on a downhill. So, on a downhill I definitely attempt to stop, but usually find that they have already bailed the trail

Kentucky Roush 😎

I try to yield to the uphill rider, but as mentioned, they sometimes stop before you get a chance to. When that happens, I typically roll by slowly and say thanks. Another thing I’ve noticed is that less experienced riders will stop/yield sooner than more experience riders. It’s hard to tell when approaching someone what their intention is, so I opt for proceeding cautiously or if necessary grabbing a trailside tree for balance and letting the other rider pass by.

Always yield to uphill riders, as this is the most common sense and respectful thing to do. As per on the trail, its really whomever can safely pull off the side of the trail first. I usually always pull over unless they first pull over. If you are bombing down a very steep descent and cannot safely pull off the trail, then the uphill climber should yield. Why would they be climbing a very steep descent anyways??…LOL.

"Adonai-Yeshua" wrote

Why would they be climbing a very steep descent anyways??…LOL.

bi-directional trail…happens all the time around here.

On the trail, it really is a matter of whoever stops first. Just be curteous and always stop for hikers and horses coming at you unless they stop first…then procede carefully and be especially careful and slow if there are horses.

"jtorlando25" wrote

[quote="Adonai-Yeshua":2re4g9w9]Why would they be climbing a very steep descent anyways??…LOL.

bi-directional trail…happens all the time around here.[/quote:2re4g9w9]

LOL….I know that 😆

I was referring to in a joking manner….why would you want to fly up a DH run or in the direction of a steep DH descent, but yeah, I know about the bi-directional singletracks. 😆

Just a not on horses, call up to the rider and ask how they would like to be passed. Some horses are fine with bikes others……….not. Even when following their direction be ready incase you do spook the horse. I was passing once, following the direction and chatting with the rider when the horse got spooked. Not a fun thing.

Horses really need to have their own trails, as they do not mix with MTB’s or pedestrians very well. I love horses and grew up with and around them, worked on ranches, and rode rodeos, so i can say they really have no place on the same trails. Even if you stop and move out of the way, anything can spook a horse, and they have no mercy on anything or anyone around them when spooked. Just too dangerous for MTB’ers and pedestrians. I totally avoid trails that allow equestrians and MTB’ers/pedestrians together on one trail.

I came upon a runner with 2 large dogs,she had her I pod going and didnt even know I was behind her.Scared the crap out of her as I got closer.Both dogs just would not move off the trail.Dogs,runners and Mountain bikes dont mix.

More to the point, iPods and trails don’t mix…

"maddslacker" wrote

More to the point, iPods and trails don’t mix…

When I ride w/ my mp3 player i only have one ear plug in and it is not blasting away. I want to hear others in the woods.

I personally do not mind sharing trails with other users. Coolest was being passed by a dog sled team. amazing how quiet dogs are when they are pulling but how loud they are when they are stopped.

although accepted etiquette, i don’t completely agree with the uphill right of way.
      unless you are struggling up a challenging climb where getting off is more than a simple delay, yield to the flow. if someone is coming down a long flowing trail, even though technically you are on the slower, uphill side of it, just pull over.
      someone might do the same for you someday.

Ran into a downhill meets downhill situation last night… crazy! Luckily we both picked "right lane" because we were bombing at the bottom!

I find giving the uphill rider the right of way to be VERY unsafe and bad for the trails. You come around a turn on a descent and see a guy 10 yards up climbing, and you’re supposed to stop?

Yeah. So we’re supposed to jack on the brakes, putting us in a downhill skid, tearing up the trail, so Clive Climberson can get in three extra pedal strokes?

I feel like whomever made that decision has never had to stop short before. 😈

Okay, I feel better now.
      😮

"Fitch" wrote

I find giving the uphill rider the right of way to be VERY unsafe and bad for the trails. You come around a turn on a descent and see a guy 10 yards up climbing, and you’re supposed to stop?

Yeah. So we’re supposed to jack on the brakes, putting us in a downhill skid, tearing up the trail, so Clive Climberson can get in three extra pedal strokes?

Okay, I feel better now.
      😮

lol!

pretty much what i was afraid to say so directly. kudos!

yeah, i too think that rule dates back to well before full sus, or any sus, bikes were pinning dh. and i agree, you should yield to speed/flow. it’s far safer, and way more fun.

Soooo, you routinely ride faster than your braking ability and the conditions allow?

"Fitch" wrote

Okay, I feel better now.
      😮

LOL… 😆 😆 😆 😆 😄

Awesome reply and sooooo very true! As a DH rider, it is very unsafe for the descending rider to stop for the ascending rider. The ascending rider has lower gears to start out again and is going at a safe speed to safely pull over and make way for the descending rider. Simply said and put my friends… 😉

"maddslacker" wrote

Soooo, you routinely ride faster than your braking ability and the conditions allow?

If it is a DH run, then yes and no. As a DH rider, I always take it to the limit, as DH riding is Freeriding, and Freeriding is pushing your limits and riding outside others comfort zone. Its skill that gets you through those "braking and conditions allow" scenario. DH is "speed riding" or other words bombing descents as fast as you can push it. 😉

Viewing 18 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.