Yeti 575 – Casual Observation

Tagged: ,

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

<edit>
      After talking with the guys last night, I need to clarify this a little:
      -3 guys in our group (all of the 575’s) have broken the frame in the rear triangle.
      -1 of them broke twice (we’re up to 4 breaks)
      -A guy whom I know who is not in the group broke his also.
      -that’s the 5 breaks
      -all but one were replaced under warranty, the one that wasn’t, Yeti claims crash damage, which I still think is weak sauce, considering the price they demand for these Taiwanese frames.
      -the Yeti warranty manager told my friend that they have a known issue with certain years of 575 with the alloy rear triangle, as in, if hasn’t broken yet, it will.
      -not sure the exact years, but something to keep an eye on
      -the one guy in the group with a 2002 AS/R has had no frame issues.
      </edit>

I ride weekly of a group of roughly 10-15 guys, 5 of whom have Yeti 575’s in the 2004 – 2006 age range. All of them have broken the rear triangle, one of them just broke it a second time this past week.

Two of the breaks occurred on trips to Moab, resulting in wasting time at Poison Spider securing a rental, rather than being out riding.

All of them were on the rear triangle, and were replaced under warranty.

The one that just broke the second time is days away from the expiration of the 5-year warranty, and he is taking it over to the factory ASAP to see about a(nother) replacement.

I am/was a huge Yeti fanboy, but this observation is giving me pause. I know any frame can break, and many do, but 5 for 5? come on Yeti…pay those Taiwanese a little more and get a better weld a la Giant, Specialized and Gary Fisher <- the forst two with limited lifetime warranties on their frames, by the way!

I guess my biggest beef with the whole thing is the 5 year warranty. I work in the computer industry where "planned obsolescence" is the norm…but on bicycles?

I’m not sure about the MTB’s but I think alot of the comapnies make their high ends still in the US. I believe that Trek (road bike Madone anyway) makes the upper level OCLV carbon frames in Wisconsin while the lower TCT carbon frames are made overseas. It makes me wonder how they decide the cut-off. It seems that they consider a certain "level" to be entry and not needing of the same build specs. Although there is usually a jump in price between them.

For Yeti, the 575 and now also the aluminum AS/R are welded in Taiwan and painted in Golden, CO.

The carbon AS/R is still made in Golden.

Follow-up:
      The 575 is within the 5-year warranty period, barely, but Yeti is claiming "crash damage" and is charging my friend $450 for a new rear triangle.

Nice customer service there, Yeti… 😢

"maddslacker" wrote

I guess my biggest beef with the whole thing is the 5 year warranty. I work in the computer industry where "planned obsolescence" is the norm…but on bicycles?

yeh, that really stinks! i was thinking about getting a yeti sometime in the future because i really like the look of their frames… but my jamis comes with a stinking lifetime warranty, and i got that bike on the cheap!

seriously now…

(and i know all treks come with a lifetime warranty. maybe yeti just needs to step up to the plate.)

"ChiliPepper" wrote

[quote="Goo":10x0p3bb][quote="maddslacker":10x0p3bb]I guess my biggest beef with the whole thing is the 5 year warranty. I work in the computer industry where "planned obsolescence" is the norm…but on bicycles?

yeh, that really stinks! i was thinking about getting a yeti sometime in the future because i really like the look of their frames… but my jamis comes with a stinking lifetime warranty, and i got that bike on the cheap!

seriously now…

(and i know all treks come with a lifetime warranty. maybe yeti just needs to step up to the plate.)[/quote:10x0p3bb]
      I have to say this about Yeti…."I am very disappointed with them." 😕 😢

Even though Trek has lifetime warranties, their Fuel line is having serious issues with the triangle breaking. :?: :?: :?: Whats up with that?!?!?

Goo…..Jamis has really come around and has very much impressed me with their line of MTB’s, service, and warranties they offer. I love the new Dakar Bam, that is one sick looking monster! I have quite a few riding buddies that have a Jamis, mainly the Dakar and the Parker, with a couple having some HT’s, and they love them. One of my older buddies I used to DH race with got himself that Dakar Bam, and let me tell you this….."It rocks brother!" It handles like a true champ and light enough to do some whips.[/quote:10x0p3bb]

yeh man, my jamis takes a beating, and keeps coming back for more!!

actually know several people with fuels, and they have broken the rear triangle at least once. has been warrantied every time, though.

I was really close to buying a Jamis when I ended up getting my Giant. The deciding factor was I couldn’t find the Jamis in my size on sale when I had the $$ in my pocket, and I got a steal on my Giant Trance frame.

I LOVE my Giant, but I have steered a couple of friends to look at Jamis as they seem to be a really solid bike for the price.

A friend and I were joking out on the trail last night that my Giant and his Gary Fisher were probably welded in the same Taiwanese shop as the Yeti 575, just on a different shift.

So I did a quick search on current factory frame warranties:
      Ellsworth – 2 years
      Intense – 2 years
      Yeti – 2 years
      Pivot – 3 years
      Salsa – 5 years
      Santa Cruz – 2 years
      Scott – 5 years
      Jamis – 5 years < 5" travel, 2 years > 5" travel
      Ibis – 3 years
      Rocky Mountain – 5 years (3 years for DH and FR models)
      Norco – Unspecified ("Check with the dealer" and "Bikes are meant to wear out")

Gary Fisher – Lifetime
      Trek – Lifetime
      Specialized – Lifetime
      Giant – Lifetime
      Kona – Lifetime
      Orbea – Lifetime
      Novara (REI) – Lifetime

Can anyone else spot the trend? (Hint: Orbea is the exception)

i’m pretty sure i have a lifetime warranty on my dakar xlt frame.

You very well may, I searched only the current info on ’09 – ’10 models.

Also, I should note that in almost every case I could not find the warranty info by browsing the site but instead had to google it.

Well I’m glad that the Treks and Fishers that I have all have lifetime warranty. Despite the problems with the Fuel group it says alot about those companies (as well as Specialized and the others mentioned) that they have the faith and desire to stand behind behind their product. I have to add that I have a Fuel 70 and have not had a problem though I check it now on a regular basis. I wonder how many of the bikes that were sold have had the breaking problem and whether it was a certain "run" or a true design or material flaw.

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.