XTerra Clemson

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Thanks to SORBA-CSRA and GoneRiding I had a chance to compete (more like try) in my first triathlon at Issaqueena Forest outside of Clemson, SC. Training for this consisted of…….well I found out I had the entry two weeks ago. Did manage two rides followed by a run. Swims I did were all in the pool.

After spending the night (with very little sleep) with relatives in Anderson, SC I got to Issaqueena around 6:30 am. I knew I had to get the race packet but the rest of it I was clueless. I picked the brains of fellow racers and brought my gear to the transition area to set up. Again clueless on this. I just observed others. I was a bit nervous and kinda made my first mistake of the day by not really eating anything.

Looking out at the lake I made one very clear observation, a kilometer swim looks a lot different in a pool then in open water. This would be my first long open swim since I did the "mile swim" at Boy Scout camp. Yes it has been awhile. Also, I am blind as a bat and do not wear contacts.

After a racers meeting the race started. I was positioned more in the rear and it started of very slow with many legs and arms flapping all over the place. Did get hit once and had to re-adjust my goggles. After about 5 minutes into the swim I did manage to get to the outside the group and start passing some others. I did breast stroke most of the time, my strongest sustained stroke. When I wanted to go a quick pass I got my free-style in. Managed to finish the swim around mid field.

Transition……well again clueless. I just got my jersey on, helmet, glasses ( I could see again), socks, shoes, gloves and headed out. Started on a fire road climb. Passed a few here and then got into tight singletrack. This is were riding in groups suck for a single speed. Person in front of me downshifted on a short but steep climb and I lost all momentum. Had to jump off and push. This became the story of the ride. I would pass folks on the forest service rides and then get slowed down on the singletrack climbs. Which tend to a strong point but with no passing space 😈

I did ride with Brad V. (another CSRA rider) for awhile during a good portion of the ride. He finally pulled away on a steep technical climb. Overall the best way to describe the trail was tight rocky/rooty trail (maybe keg) with the hills of Tower. Old school trails. Would love to ride it again but I did not see any other trail markers other the the XTerra ones. I passed about 15 people on this section while getting passed myself by 7 riders.

I hit the transition again and again I was clueless. Someone mention that the number had to be in front. I had to re-pin the number. There went more time. I downed some Gatorade and water and was off. The trail run followed the edge of the lake, had old rocky walkways and uneven steps before going to ff-canter rooty, rocky, up and down, tight singletrack.

About 1/2 mile into the run I rolled my ankle and went down banging up my knee. After this it was more like slow motion running. By far I was concerned about the run as being my weak leg. After this my normally slow pace would of been fast. Key thing was, I was still having fun. Finally made the finish in 162 minutes. Far away from the first place folks. I did make my goal of under 3 hours and can only improve.

If doing it again, I would practice the transition. I lost 5-10 minutes in this area, pre-ride the course, and this was one of those times I had gears. Big mistakes for me, lack of nutrition and water. Also the tire pressure was a little high.

Congrats! I’ve never been up to Issaqueena, but I’ve had it on my wish list for awhile. Sounds like it has got some good technical climbs. Guess I need to go check it out!

Congrats man! Great place to ride, though best known for it DH trails and FR features. 25 miles away from that beautiful area, and beats Paris Mountain. Again….Congrats! 😀

Congrats on getting through the race! First year racing something is always about information gathering, so it sounds like you will be more prepared for next time. And I have to agree with you, the running would be my worst part. Probably the reason I haven’t entered one, I hate running!

I know for a fact that I did not push myself in any of the stages. I wanted to make sure I had enough in the tank to finish the whole race. I would not mind doing another XTerra in the future. Most of the close races are in the spring and a wet suit would be helpful.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.