WTB Weirwolf Race XC 26 x 2.1 Tire Foldable 60 tpi

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

I just put on new tires and thought I would give a quick review.

I ride a 2010 Specialized Rockhopper SL Expert. For full specs click on link below.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBC … nuItemId=0

If you don’t want to click on the link basic specs on the bike are as follows: Hardtail with a RS Recon Coil Fork 100mm/Deore Front Derailler/XT Rear/Avid Elixir 4 Hydrolic Brakes/19 inch frame with my riding weight at 170-175 depending on how many hamburgers I eat a week. Also, if this matters, clipless pedals.

I was riding on the tires that came on the bike which were Specialized Fastrack LK Control 26 x 2.0 foldable. I now know that other than riding on concrete…in my opinion they were not that good on the trails.

I only have 3 days riding time on these tires but well over 70 miles in all conditions. I have the tires (not tubeless by the way) inflated to 35 in front/38 in rear.

Gravel Road Dry: I rode about 5 miles up hill with about a 1300 foot elevation change however most of it was gradual and the tires handeled just fine. There was no technical riding at all. My biggest conern with a new tire would be rolling resistence in which I was able to notice a little more but nothing to annoy me plus I did expect some due to the tread…and the lack of in my LK Controls.

The downhill was awesome and I had traction that I never could have dreamed of on my LK Controls. I would say it was the first time I felt completly confident really leaning into the turns in the 15 months since I had this bike. Much more control that I anticipated. I found another logging road that had some fresh loose gravel on it and the tires handled very well.

Gravel Wet Road (torrential Downpoar): Same ride as above and the tire handled just as well on the hardpack gravel. I did intentionally find some muddy areas and the tires handled well both up and downhill although they did not shed the mud as quickly as I would have liked until I hit the hardpack gravel again. When they did it was shooting up rather fast into my face.

Mix of Sandy and hardpack Singletrack Dry: I think the tires were made for this type of riding. Can’t say anthing else then awesome. Fortunately on this day during my ride a nasty thunderstorm came thru so I was able to test out wet conditions as well. See below

Wet muddy singletrack: They handled much better than the LK Controls but did have problems shedding mud. On the wet gravel road once I hit the gravel the mud along with the speed knocked the mud off but there was more of a problem on the singletrack. However, compared to what I was previously riding on I was happy with their performance. Again rolling resistence on all terrains was great and better then expected.

Rocks wet and dry they handled well. Wet Roots were more of an issue as I they did slip on the bigger roots. I have a question for those of you that ride with a Velocipator Front Tire. How do you all like the way the front tire handles. I did not get the Velociraptor rear tire because of the rolling resistence but I did buy a front. Just did not try it out yet. Do you think it is worth trying or should I return it. Would it give me better traction say in climbing technical areas? Thanks for the input.

I forgot to add the braking on these tires is great!

Definitely add your review to the database: http://www.singletracks.com/mountain-bike/reviews.php

This is for Schwim’s knowledge only as he is the only one that replied to my original post 😢

I thought I would try a VelociRaptor front tire along with the rear Weirwolf. I used the folding version of the VelociRaptor front tire and WOW. I went to Tsali at 730 this morning and rode a little over 30 miles and was very surprised at the additional climbing traction I got with the front tire. The rocky area of the Right Loop and climbing up to the Overlook which is riddled rocks was great with that front tire gripping as it did.

The rear Weirwolf continues to be a great tire as well but does struggle shedding mud. The trail conditions were great but there were some muddy spots which I intentionally rode thru and that front tire really handled great where the back did slide but I can recover better from a rear tire sliding out than the front. I would highly recommend this combo.

I did buy a Velociraptor rear tire but will hold off until the wet muddy conditions of the winter. Just looking at it hurts my legs thinking about the rolling resistence.

I would also like to say that when looking to improve your ride take a serious look at tires and tire pressure. We all seem to know about the best shocks, brakes, shifters but think of it. Tires are the only things that actually touch the trail…until you fall that is.

"uekiya" wrote

Wet muddy singletrack: …did have problems shedding mud.

I was riding these during a race last year that turned into a muddy mess. I agree, this tire is not your friend in those conditions. In drier conditions, they handled all terrain well.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.