Wrecked Tektro Brakes

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

This morning I was enjoying an early ride…first on the trails, UNTIL. While, let’s just say I bite off more than I could chew…mid-air I realized just that. After I came to a stop 20 yards from my bike after a truly amazing ride on my helmet. I discovered my master cylinder and lever for my front brake broke cleanly off my handlebars. To my further amazement, nothing else was damaged. My Camber handled the fall with grace…much better than me. I am now in the market to replace my front brake assembly. My 2011 Camber came stock with Tektro Brakes. Is there a reasonably priced, better performing brake assembly available? Juicy gets a lot of press, but is it worth it. It is clear, I NEED stopping power….or a better understanding of gravity.

Being a bargain biker myself, one option I definitely recommend is looking on eBay for a set of used Avid’s, Haye’s, Formula’s, or any other good brakes. You can find some really good deals for some good brakes. My friend and I have gotten numerous deals on slightly used parts. For instance, my friend recently bought an X-9 rear derailleur and shifters for probably about a third of retail price, and they are in excellent condition and work great.

Thank you both for the reply! I spoke to my local bike shop about replacing my brake. The cost will be over $100 to put back on the same brake. I know I can do better, BUT here is the BIG question…How difficult is it to install new brake assemblies? The bolting on process does not concern me. The bleeding does.

Most hydraulic brakes come pre-assembled and bled. You just bolt them on.

Bleeding them isn’t hard, just requires a learning curve and can be a bit messy at first until you get the hang of it. Pre-bled brakes are super simple. A lot of brakes will have a specific bleed kit that you can buy to help you keep things clean and airfree.

I found my brakes…Shimano Deore M595s. I am going front and brake with the upgraded brakes…DON’T tell my wife. Based on the review on Bikeradar.com and couple other riders in the area, I think these brakes will give me the stopping power I need.

Thank you everyone.

.or a better understanding of gravity.

😆 As some one around here say’s "It’s the Law"

Avid 1’s are very impressive for their pricepoint. All the features of XO, but with a killer pricetag.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.