Wrecked Chain ring

Tagged: 

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

I need help/advice on replacing my front chain rings. Yesterday, in the beautiful SE Tennessee Mountains, I wrecked two of my front chain rings on a mother of a rock. (Nothing like starting a ride 3X7 and finishing 1X7). I have an entry level 2010 Response XE Diamondback (I know, I know). I want to upgrade to a new ride, but three kids in private school drain me. How can I get the best out of a new chain rings? I ride two to three times a week typically 5-7 miles a trip.

If you wrecked 2 chainrings, I wonder how your bottom bracket looks like.
      What crankset is build in?

A bash guard will set you free! 😄 Later,

Yep, yep, yep, a bashguard will free you of these instances. 😉

You can run two chainrings and still install a bashguard to alleviate any more issues such as that. 😄

Since I am new to the sport and breaking stuff, can I buy replacment rings without replacing the entire crankset?

First and foremost….Welcome to the sport of MTB’ing!

Yes, you could, but only if they have threaded chainring bolts. That is the only way you could swap out chainrings or install a bashguard. 😉

But since you are bashing the third ring (large sprocket), you should replace that ring with a bashguard and problem solved with bent or warped chainrings. Its cheaper to purchase a bashguard then consistently purchase chainrings. Just saying!

"Bonsai-CP" wrote

Yes, you could, but only if they have threaded chainring bolts. That is the only way you could swap out chainrings or install a bashguard. 😉

That’s why I asked him, what crankset he has. I guess it’s some SR Suntour

On the other hand, what’s the price for the two chainrings? Maybe $50? You can get a new one for that, or a better one like the LX crankset including the BB for $79

^^^^ That Shimano LX looks like it has removable chainring bolts. If so, good price! But if he continues to ride like that, he will have to replace at least the thrird chainring once more, so a bashguard is a good investment in the long run, but yeah, changing his crank to a crank that has removable chainring bolts is a smart move. 😄

+1 to bashguard. Would be a good idea if this happens a lot, replacing chain rings every ride can get expensive

Never crashed a chainring in years, but yep – a bashguard will protect your chainrings

"ollysj" wrote

Never crashed a chainring in years, but yep – a bashguard will protect your chainrings

I wrecked at least a few open chainrings (without bashguard) in my life (started riding in the 70’s), especially the riding I do….LOL. Anything ladened with gnarly rocks, boulders, street, park (when I get the chance), DJ’s. I cannot say hucking, because I never wreaked one doing that. 😄

"Bonsai-CP" wrote

I wrecked at least a few open chainrings (without bashguard) in my life (started riding in the 70’s), especially the riding I do….LOL. Anything ladened with gnarly rocks, boulders, street, park (when I get the chance), DJ’s. I cannot say hucking, because I never wreaked one doing that. 😄

lol, that’s prolly the huge differnce 😆

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.