Worth the upgrade?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

I currently have 2013 Specialized Carve Comp that I really enjoy riding. I sometimes wish it were a little lighter and had a faster feel. I even prefer to ride it over my Felt Carbon Mountain bike due to fit and geometry.

I’m thinking about getting 2015 Crave Pro and setting it up as 1x and tubeless. I notice that the specs are difference on fork, frame, brakes, rims, derailler, shifters, etc. but don’t know enough about the difference. My question is, is that worth getting the 2015 or should I just upgrade my 2013 with tubeless and turn into 1x?

The specs are here to compare:

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/ … ravePro29/

Thanks!

While I normally love the comparison threads, this is way too subjective of a situation for anyone to really help you decide. You’re not complaining about any components of the current bike but instead, it’s "feel". We can’t tell you if the 2015 will have a "faster and lighter feel" to you. The component sets are comparable and the only clear upgrade I see in the list is the Fox CTD fork compared to the Recon(although the Recon is no slouch).

I would simply suggest that you ask the LBS to let you ride the new bike and see if it’s worth the upgrade cost to you.

Either way you go, I’d recommend going tubeless. I ride a heavy AM bike with beefy rims. I noticed a benefit immediately on climbs when I went tubeless. Reducing wheel weight always is a benefit!

"gar29" wrote

Reducing wheel weight always is a benefit!

And the hours saved on trailside tube swap/patches! I could have written Macbeth* with the time I’ve spent patching or swapping tubes.

[size=50:3kq1gt8s]* Or at the very least, an Archie comic[/size:3kq1gt8s]

"schwim" wrote

I could have written Macbeth* with the time I’ve spent patching or swapping tubes.

[size=50:1k2d9rzc]* Or at the very least, an Archie comic[/size:1k2d9rzc]

True! That was the best $60 I’ve spent on my bike in a long time for the Stan’s kit.

I read you here. But as they mentioned, it’s hard when you mention "feel". Everyone is different. Some of the guys here are concerned with weight, because it feels lighter and better. Me on the other hand, I don’t care, I love the feel of things that can’t "take it"! Sometimes it’s hard due to availability, but test rides are the best bet. Contact your LBS and ask around, sometimes they can point you to people. I know here there are guys that own bikes who are willing to let you try theirs out. I will say that weight does make a difference, however, my preference is, it can’t sacrifice durability. When I ride a heavier bike, I’m like …ugghhhh.

Now, you should definitely go tubeless. Best investment and one of the cheapest upgrades that you can make. In fact, I’ll say it will change your life. Well, maybe.

-GT

"GTXC4" wrote

Now, you should definitely go tubeless. Best investment and one of the cheapest upgrades that you can make. In fact, I’ll say it will change your life. Well, maybe.

-GT

I do think that tubeless, especially products like Stan’s or Orange Seal, are one of the best innovations in a long time.

Second only to portable bacon.

"schwim" wrote

Second only to portable bacon.

Hmmm portable bacon?

"gar29" wrote

Hmmm portable bacon?

Every ride would end with me walking a pair of wheels out of the woods.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.